London Velodrome - Opens to the public......

colinsmith123
colinsmith123 Posts: 579
edited November 2014 in Track
Sorry, I don't know an actual date, the closest I can give you is quoted from Lee Valley Regional Park Authority's website

After the Games Lee Valley Regional Park Authority will own, fund and manage the VeloPark and open it to the public soon after.

Define soon after! Paralympics finish on the 9th September, 'soon after' in my book would be the 10th September. Or am I being impatient again? :lol:

Website link:

http://www.leevalleypark.org.uk/en/content/cms/olympics/velopark/velopark.aspx
Live to ski
Ski to live

Comments

• AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    After the Games Lee Valley Regional Park Authority will own, fund and manage the VeloPark and open it to the public soon after.

Define soon after! Paralympics finish on the 9th September, 'soon after' in my book would be the 10th September. Or am I being impatient again? :lol:

Wishful thinking Colin...... :lol:
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • Colin where do you actually live ? I live in Dunstable.

Kent, near Brands Hatch.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Little bit closer for you than me then :D
    My first session of 2012 is two sessions at newport friday 20th and sat 21st
  • We can't be the only cyclist thinking when are we going to get a chance to ride or even race on the Olympic Track.

It will more than likely be over subscribed. But if lee Valley Park Authority are going to be in charge of it, surely they should be taking bookings now. .........Does anybody know if they are ?

Those living near Brighton don't forget there is always the Preston Park Track League starting in April
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    May 2013 at the earliest is what I've heard - gossip only though. After the Olympics and Para-Olympics the area becomes a building site once more as work on completing the legacy projects commences - Velopark etc. I'm sure there'll be some select groups on it for training.
  • Good -- forget 2012 then -- May 2013 is the real goal us weekend warriors.
  • Art Manadalay wrote
    May 2013 at the earliest is what I've heard - gossip only though. After the Olympics and Para-Olympics the area becomes a building site once more as work on completing the legacy projects commences - Velopark etc. I'm sure there'll be some select groups on it for training.

Whilst I have heard that same rumour, it does not make commercial sense to leave a perfectly functional building empty for a further 6 months whilst they build around the outside. Safe access routes can are a built across construction sites all the time. Given a choice between generating income at the Velodrome against the expense of managing safe access surely Lee Valley would want to go with the former. Hang on though, I'm applying rational thought. :D

I am tempted to pose the question to Lee Valley as to when the Velodrome is going to open to the public under the Freedom of Information Act, but ultimately it makes no difference.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    the Sir Chris Hoy velodrome is due to open in the autumn too so a good year for trackies
  • Art Manadalay wrote

Whilst I have heard that same rumour, it does not make commercial sense to leave a perfectly functional building empty for a further 6 months whilst they build around the outside. Safe access routes can are a built across construction sites all the time. Given a choice between generating income at the Velodrome against the expense of managing safe access surely Lee Valley would want to go with the former. Hang on though, I'm applying rational thought. :D

I am tempted to pose the question to Lee Valley as to when the Velodrome is going to open to the public under the Freedom of Information Act, but ultimately it makes no difference.

It's not just the external construction sites though (including laying the road-race circuits that will go right outside the building), they need to strip out of the the LOCOG 2012 overlay and nonsense. 2013 at the earliest no doubt.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Herne Hill Opens on Saturday for training again
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Nobody has an actual date, the planning application was only approved last Tuesday (28th fev 2012), I was at the meeting. May 2013 is very optimistic, try towards end of the year if we are lucky. The best way to find real information is to sign up to the LV Parks news information service;
    http://www.leevalleypark.org.uk/EN/broa ... admin.aspx
    make sure you tick the cycling box and they will send you updates as and when.
    "I do the research so you don't have to!"
    www.tonyharveytraining.com
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Very useful link, thanks!
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Nobody has an actual date, the planning application was only approved last Tuesday (28th fev 2012), I was at the meeting. May 2013 is very optimistic, try towards end of the year if we are lucky. The best way to find real information is to sign up to the LV Parks news information service;
    http://www.leevalleypark.org.uk/EN/broa ... admin.aspx
    make sure you tick the cycling box and they will send you updates as and when.

Just to update in case anyone else (like me) was looking for the same answer, the link above appears to have changed. The sign up page is now here should anyone want it.
  • hashtag
    hashtag Posts: 6
    this sounds like amazing news!
  • Looks like we won't get on the track until the end of 2013, according to the link above.

Bad news as far as I am concerned.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Are any competitive events being held at the London velodrome. I would love to go and watch some racing there as it was almost impossible to get Olympic tickets for the velodrome.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • dcomp
    dcomp Posts: 43
    I read somewhere the other day that Borris' bike marathon is taking place to celebrate the opening of the London Velodrome: I think that's on August 3rd 2013 but don't quote me on that. The date is set but I haven't checked it before writing this...
  • The sooner they get it open, the sooner they can start getting a return from the investment. So from a financial perspective, I would imagine they want to get it opened up asap too, but as others have said, if the adjacent area is like a building site, then under H&S grounds, they probably can't open it until all the other works have been completed.

Personally, I could never understand why there were fantastic indoor velodrome's in Manchester, Newport, etc, yet the capital of the UK only really had the outdoor Herne Hill, of which there was this 'will it stay open, will it close' debacle going on for years.
  • To update anyone who is not aware of what is happening at Herne Hill. A new track surface went in last year. The inner track and lighting around the track (subject to planning permission) part funded by the local council's Olympic Legacy Fund is to be installed over the coming months.

http://www.savethevelodrome.com/solp/

Currently the best source of information on when we might or might not get to ride at the London Velodrome is over on LFGSS forum

http://www.lfgss.com/thread22417-3.html Miss out on the waffle and start from #119 on the right hand side of the page.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/media/ ... ERSION.pdf

This .pdf has some more info on Lee Valley, I 'hope' that once the crazy crush is over there are some sensible leagues put in place for amateurs. It would be a shame if it was just a have a go tourist spot.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Mid to late March this year....I know as I will be working there.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Any ideas when bookings will be possible from?
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • dave35
    Not as yet I don't, i start on jan 27th.so may have more info then.
    Incog, are you on the t.t forum? I am too, elitst35 on there.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Ah yep that's me :). Slightly more on my profile there too.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • are there going to be SQT type sessions for experienced/accredited riders... just looks like tasters on the site.
  • dave35
    I can't tell you anything about sessions yet-don't start work there until Monday.
    But from listening to others,you can't use accreditation from other tracks at the London velodrome, although something is being put in place to allow you to in the future.
  • That's a surprise, and a disappointment if true, as I know that Manchester accreditation allows you to ride at Newport and Glasgow.
  • dave35
    See the FAQ on the lea valley website, you have to get accredited there-4 sessions.
  • It's been a long wait since I wrote: London Velodrome - Opens to the public.. but finally it has happened and the velodrome will finally be open to the public on 31/3/14, you can book here....

http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/content/cms/london2012/velo-park/taster-sessions/

Everyone starts at the beginning.

Let the moaning and groaning begin.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live