'2 Season' Jacket Required

Long_Time_Lurker
Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am on the lookout for a jacket that I can wear for Spring and Autumn. Ideally it needs to be:
1. Breathable/well vented (I get hot very quickly)
2. Wind and showerproof (enough to be able to keep me dry in a quick rainstorm or light rain).
3. Well-made (A lot of the routes I ride are muddy so it will be getting washed a lot.)

I need your help - I'm spending too much time faffing about and I have a long ride coming up, so I'm running out of time.
I'm not concerned with budget - I'm prepared to spend a bit more if it does that job.
Any recommendations?

Thanks...
2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Softshells are pretty good multi-purpose outer layers. I've three that I use either in conjunction or independently depending on the weather. Decathalon sell a variety at very good prices so you can pick pretty much whatever suits your needs. Or bob down to your local Go-Outdoors as they usually have some good jackets at reasonable prices. As with any waterproofing though, try to avoid machine washing them as they degrade quickly. I tend to leave mud to dry and brush it off then wash a few times a season.
    Or check the jackets at Endurafor something that costs a lot more. I don't know anything about this jacket but looks alright.
  • Cheers - quite like the idea of the Endura - especially the detachable sleeves.
    Gore do something similar, but it's £30 more expensive and it's a bit tight fitting (I'm very broad shouldered).
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Having lots jacket for all different occasions the one I use most is a Montane Featherlite, does everything you need apart from more than an hour in rain. Wash it as much as you want and then soak in Nikwax and its as good as new.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=11427
  • jsync
    jsync Posts: 120
    I'd go for the montane dyno. I just bought one on sale for £50.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a look.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    North Face puddle jacket just bought one myself after recomendations and its great for light rain or showers, windproof and the fit is great although a little pricey £88 but in my opinion worth it the quality is superb
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Gore Phantom, possibly what you were referring to above.

Mine's brilliant, zipoff arms too, so it's very versatile. I could probably do with something a little warmer in the depths of winter, but decent gloves and 'layering-up' work well too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."