Spoke Options ?

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm going to order some wheels up from Merlin for my HT build. I'm almost certain I'll be using Hope hubs and XM719 rims unless there's anything better and cheaper :D What's the difference apart from price between ACI, DT Plain, DT Competition and DT Revolution ? I'm trying to keep the price down. I'd like black spokes with silver nipples if possible , if so which would I need ?

Thanks.

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    DT plain are plain gauge- not butted, 2.0 gauge. iirc, DT competitions are 2.0-1.8 butted and revolutions are thinner still. The revolutions will be the lightest (probably saving 50-100g over the others). However, the wheel may be flexier. ACI and dt comps are probably very similar to each other in terms of performance. Both will offer a good compromise between stiffness, strength, weight etc.. DT plains are the heaviest and would not be my choice.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Revolutions are usually 2.0/1.5, although they do do 1.8/1.5s. They're 100g lighter than Comps and about 180g lighter than plain gauge IIRC. Revs will build the most flexy wheel.

I'd get Comps, or ACI butted if cost is an issue.