Windstopper socks

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Was in my LBS talking about the fact I get baltic feet when out riding early doors. They suggested different socks which are Windstopper and waterproof. They have them and they cost about £30. Has anyone used these sort of socks? Do they make much of a difference? If so can anyone suggest cheaper one available online?
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Stuff like this is always going to come down to personal preference, but I'd have thought some overshoes or toe caps would be better than windproof socks, and likely cheaper as well.
    I had some Sealskinz socks for MTBing for a while, didn't seem to keep my feet any warmer than regular hiking socks- others swear by them though.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    +1 for toe warmers. I get a lot of use out of mine, and even wear them under proper overshoes when it's really cold. They've helped sort out my cold feet during early starts. Evans have got some by Pearl Izumi reduced to 12 quid at the moment. Other benefit is you can take em off when you've warmed up, and they're normally small enough to stuff in a jersey pocket so very versatile...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    +1 for overshoes

Sealskinz feel like I have plastic bags on ym feet to me. I know a few people who like them but I too find them no better than goos merino wool socks.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I'm taking my sealskins for our endtoend. Don't really stop heavy prolonged rain from getting in, but do keep my feet warm.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If it's just to help with windchill and the odd puddle splash then I'd go for Lusso Max Repel overshoes (think CRC sell them), just a roubaix-backed Lycra really but are windproof/splashproof and if things really warm up are easy to roll-up and stash in a back pocket