Campy 10/11speed compatibility

jumbosausage
jumbosausage Posts: 77
edited April 2012 in Workshop
Hi,
I've been offered a nice bling carbon Record 11sp chainset.

Will this work with my 08 10sp set up??

What are the differences between the 10sp and 11sp, apart from the extra gear before anyone throws that in!!

Thanks for your help

JS

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,168
    That should ba a straightforward swap, they are both ultra torque. Check out the bearings, they are short lived
    left the forum March 2023
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    they are short lived

got 8 000 miles from my UT bearings, is this short lived (genuine question). ?

cf MTB BB bearings and old style cup and loose bearings I`d have thought this was good :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,168
    JamesB wrote:
    they are short lived

got 8 000 miles from my UT bearings, is this short lived (genuine question). ?

cf MTB BB bearings and old style cup and loose bearings I`d have thought this was good :)

Well, it depends on the perspective. I ride 8000 miles in 16 months... it's not short lived, it's not long lived. Long lived would be 2-3 times that, short lived would be half.
    UT/PT and Shimano Hollowtech II use the same size bearings 37x25x6... the balls are rather undersized and not particularly well sealed. They will probably last years in Majorca and months in UK in winter.
    If you have a shot Shimano BB on one side, you can always extract the good bearing and use it as a spare for your UT cranks... in a double dip recession this is a good piece of advice I'm giving away... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • ollie cb
    ollie cb Posts: 783
    I sold a Chorus 11S chainset to a chap running record 10S. He has informed me that it works perfectly. HTH.