customized cassettes

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I prefer my bikes to be 7 speed and i currently have a 11-28.

Is there any chance of custom making a 7 speed cassette to be something like a 11-32 or even 34? I don't want a 8 speed or higher because of rate of gear changing.

The reason for this is that i would like my bike to have only 1 front sprocket and make the most of a rear sprocket in compensation. Would this be possible or is it a stupid idea from the start?

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The spacing is different.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • MTB noob
    So would it be a bad idea to try?
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes
  • cooldad
    You can buy 7 speed cassettes with 32 teeth. Seems a bit simpler.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    In fact I think Shimano make a 34 tooth one as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    In answer to the original question: yes, you can make a custom 7-speed cassette.

You just need to get (salvage, buy or make) the correct thickness of spacers and cogs for the c2c 5mm cog spacings on a 7-speed cassette.

Cogs can be salvaged from low end cassettes by punching out (or unbolting) the pins holding them together.

Very thin shim spacers can be cut out from a coke can or biscuit tin etc.

But, before doing that, double-check that your derailleur can handle the increased capacity and range. You will also probably need to modify the length of your chain.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SRAM lower end casettes are held together by an allen bolt, easy to undo a 7 speed and an 8 speed and build a custom 7 bolting it back together, Despite what CD says the spacing between 7 and 8 is the same, and you can use 9 speed gears in your custom cassette IF you use the 7/8 speed spacers. Been there, done that and got the T-shirt.

If you have an 11-28 now, if you fitted an 8 speed 11-32 the gear spacing between each gear would be the same as you've just added an extra gear (7th on the 8 being 28T) so your rate of gear changing would be the same.......

I have a SRAM 8 speed cassette and a 7 (maybe SRAM) going begging, PM me if you want some cheap parts to start you off, but personally I'd go 8 if your freehub will accept it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    True I automatically think 9 speed, but it still seems easier to buy a 32 or 34 in 7 speed rather than faff around - they are cheap. Like me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Rose bikes in Germany have a selection of 7 speed casettes. You could always buy some and build them up as you wish.

Failing that, I believe there is a French company that makes singles sprokets which you could build up as you want. Sorry, but I cannot rememebr their name, but have a feleing it starts with M.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Rembered, Miche
  • MTB noob
    what i am going to do is trade my friend his 8 speed rear gear set for my 7 speed because we need each other's and then ill just buy a 11-34 8 speed
  • MTB noob
    Also, with it, what is the cheapest place to get a 37t 1 speed crankset? My 22 32 42 suntours are too heavy
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why 37?

Does your swap include shifter?