Pad Compounds

Plyphon
Plyphon Posts: 433
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I read a thread a while ago about pad compounds but cant find it - if anyone knows what thread im on about feel free to link :)

but basically what are the real issues with changing the type of compound on your pads from the stock compound? resin vs ceramic etc....

ive only got replacements that are resin metal and the stock pads were ceramic & metal...

I might be getting myself confused here.... the thread I was on about detailed the different kinds of pad....

Cheers!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look on Superstar or Discobrakes websites.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Just use what you've got, see how you get on. It's only shinano who says not to use sintered on their rotas. IMO that's mostly pony.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Just use what you've got, see how you get on. It's only shinano who says not to use sintered on their rotas. IMO that's mostly pony.
    Saints come with sintered pads..........
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Shimano XTs, and Shimano Saint brakes on my bikes, and neither of them mentioned anything about not using sintered.
    The reason for avoiding sintered on long alpine DH runs is because they generate more heat, and can boil a braking system.

Ponies don't have brakes.
    Brakes should work all the time, not on a rota system.
  • Chunkers1980
    Ok ok. I meant some, as per the thread the other day. Pony and trap Yee
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ok ok. I meant some, as per the thread the other day. Pony and trap Yee
    I'm going to go ahead and put a big, fat
    ?
    right here.
  • Chunkers1980
    CD and blister pus were discussing the finer points about what shimano have said.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    CD and blister pus were discussing the finer points about what shimano have said.
    I don't know what you think you know about me, but I'm not actually an omnipresent godlike being. I do not know the minutiae of every topic discussed on the internet.
  • Chunkers1980
    My mistake.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't know what you think you know about me, but I'm not actually an omnipresent godlike being. I do not know the minutiae of every topic discussed on the internet.
    You're not stalking me anymore? I'm devestated.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't know what you think you know about me, but I'm not actually an omnipresent godlike being. I do not know the minutiae of every topic discussed on the internet....... but am quite happy to comment anyway
    Corrected for you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.