MADNESS at the TOUR of Korea

stringfellow1946
stringfellow1946 Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in Pro race
WHAT THE FCUK is going on in the Tour of Korea someone at the UCI needs to answer os serious questions.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/04/ ... ort_215643

Comments

• Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Unbelievable report.

How can this s**t happen in professional sport? :x
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    What the hell o.o
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,283
    Lost for words.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    Unbelievable report.

Because the governing body bases itself in a country known for its lack of transparency in accounting and auditing of so called organisations. Therefore if enough money is paid to the right persons then rules can be ignored at will.

How about the UCI does this from now on.

1) Publicly details it's accounts right down to the expenses each individual claims.
    2) Makes it's governing body elected not from the same has beens who have allowed the sport to get into the state it is; but to be voted on by all those people who have memberships to a national body (ie even the lowest joining rung of British Cycling Bronze).
    3) All persons within the UCI to be made to stand for re-election every 4 years, with the president unable to stand for consecutive terms.

As it is our governing body is a farce. They have been proven to accept money then 'lose' it, which in my opinion is much the same as taking a bribe.

The other alternative is for the bike companies getting increasingly annoyed with the UCI's scuppering of innovation to form a breakaway body that enshrines the above three rules in writing.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    So much for the 'globalisation' of pro bike racing. Personally, I think that the sport would be best left in the hands of the traditional European 'mafia' cycling nations, whatever fat Pat thinks.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Oh my goodness, this is awful.

Any word on how David McCann is?
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Not having a thumb (if it ends up that way) is a major issue holding the bars really esp if on the drops and braking. He'll adapt but lets hope it doesn't come to that.

Cyclists, it seems, are expendable in everyones' eyes, from commuters through to world pro's. really sad isn't it.
    Peter
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    :-(

hope everyone heals well.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    symo wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    Unbelievable report.

Because the governing body bases itself in a country known for its lack of transparency in accounting and auditing of so called organisations. Therefore if enough money is paid to the right persons then rules can be ignored at will

+1

apparently, if enough money is paid then they don't care about rules, regs or indeed rider safety, or so it would seem
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Christ. If I were a team manager I'd withdraw my riders. Not worth the risk of competing in an event run as badly as that.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Should be a mass withdrawl by all teams and a complete boycott of the event in the future, unless the race organisation is independantly auditted.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Tusher wrote:
    Oh my goodness, this is awful.

Any word on how David McCann is?

From his teams Facebook page, it appears that at least the nerve damage isn't as bad a first appears.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Thanks for this Dan.
    Any accident is bad enough, but this just seems so...so...........pointless because it could have been avoided.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Tusher wrote:
    Thanks for this Dan.
    Any accident is bad enough, but this just seems so...so...........pointless because it could have been avoided.

Stickbottle.com has an update on McCann - along with an icky photo of the injury.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    LangerDan wrote:
    Tusher wrote:
    Thanks for this Dan.

Stickbottle.com has an update on McCann - along with an icky photo of the injury.

Oh... my... god... that is horrendous :shock:

Best of luck to the guy, because that must be terrifying.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I didn't think I was the squeamish type, but that made me wince.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,444
    Sounds like a complete farce. With this and the car incident in the Tour last year plus some very ropey team car driving at Flanders this year surely there should be some kind of accreditation / licencing for drivers and moto pilots on bike races as an absolute minimum? Give minor driving infringements a yellow card and bad ones a red card, if people's livelihood depends on driving in bike races they will hopefully be a bit more cautious to keep their licence.

Surely the UCI has a duty of care to ensure the race provides adequate medical support? They must be at risk of getting sued for negligence in this situation, I'm just glad that the outcome wasn't even worse!!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I was reading that and becoming madder and madder. I mean, WTF is going on!? Some dude with a "Doctor" badge who apparently hasn't the faintest clue what he's doing, motorcyclists crashing into riders, insufficient medical cover...

Fuck1ng joke.

This oughta be the last ever Tour of Korea.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/