Wet feet..

nevman
nevman Posts: 1,611
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
There just has to be a solution-overshoes,plastic bags and so-called repel bibtights and there was enough water in those shoes to take care of the current (ha) drought.ANYONE found a real solution that works and can be replicated?
Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
Winter Alan Top Cross
All rounder Spec. Allez.

Comments

• A combination of the following (in order of what I think is most effective first) works for me;
    - the right overshoes - i'm on my third set now, the first two were rubbish but these are the business; http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... CEND0052KK
    - full length mudguards with a rainflap on the front - I use crudcatcher road blades - these keep the crap thrown up from your front wheel off your feet
    - last, possibly redundant, but third line of defence; sealskins socks
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I think the best you can hope for is to keep them warm, as opposed to dry. A pair of Sealskins and neoprene overshoes is what I use.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What turkeytickler said. It has to be pretty bad for me to get wet feet - I use the aforementioned Cruds or SKS Chromoplastics depending on which bike I'm on and normally those plus overshoes keep me dry.

If there is a deluge about, I can wear Sealskin socks as well. With those it would take a fair time in poor conditions with lots of road spray for me to get really wet feet.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I used to scoff at people riding along with mudguards on. Not any more!! Crud guards have made a massive difference to my commute, reducing drastically the volume of water hitting my feet and backside in equal measure.

The shoes still get a bit of a soaking and I have found rapha neoprene overshoes to be effective at keeping my feet warm, if not completely dry - the neoprene is not waterproof. Having warm feet is a massive plus esp when combined with crud guards.

Peter
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    My feet are waterproof, so I don't mind them getting wet as long as they are warm. Neoprene overshoes and decent socks. And I don't mean sealskinz socks, as you may as well be putting plastic bags on your feet....better off with socks which allow moisture to drain away.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slack wrote:
    My feet are waterproof, so I don't mind them getting wet as long as they are warm. Neoprene overshoes and decent socks. And I don't mean sealskinz socks, as you may as well be putting plastic bags on your feet....better off with socks which allow moisture to drain away.

Sealskins are fine - they keep your feet dry. This is a good thing! They are not like putting plastic bags on your feet. Just to clarify :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slack wrote:

Sealskins are fine - they keep your feet dry. This is a good thing! They are not like putting plastic bags on your feet. Just to clarify :wink:

Sealskins are not fine as far as I'm concerned, mine ended up as dog toys. I found the sealskin socks not to be particular soft - they don't fit the foot in a nice snug conforming way. I often felt my feet sloshing about in them, as any moisture that entered, did not exit. My feet feel warmer and cosier in Woolie Boolie socks when they are wet, as there is nothing holding the moisture/wet next to your skin.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Planet-X neoprene overshoes see me through a Highland winter on and off road :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • nevman
    Hmmm-lots to think about but still cannot see anything there that would have kept Monsoon Sundays rain out of the shoes-I had neoprene boots,plastic bags,socks and guards but you could pour the water out after the ride and all it did was keep cold water in contact with the tootsies.Not good.
    Theres an argument for letting the feet/shoes breathe so they can dry out after a deluge,but the problem was continuous rain meant that couldnt happen.Goretex overboots anyone-are they available,if not will someone make me some,send them to me for approval then market them as wonder products for a small fee.?
    I can feel a Dragons Den moment coming on.If we can buy a 600 gramme frame,why cant we have dry feet?

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • nevman

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I found the perfect approach to keep my feet bone dry on Sunday - it involved going nowhere near the bike! For once, I just raised the white flag and let the weather do its thing outside, whilst I watched it unleash its chaos from the comfort of my home!
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I think some of the ideas are great, but even with neoprene overshoes my feet get wet through after a few hours.

I don't think it's the overshoes at all, I think it's more to do with my bib tights getting soaked, and this water gradually working its way down. I don't think there's anything to stop that. Maybe a hole a back of the shoe? But that would still mean the socks get squashy wet.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No matter how waterproof the kit you have is - you have two great big holes in the top where your legs go - so yes - water gets in that way. You could try for a drysuit type seal - but that may start to cut off the bloodflow to the feet and that would make it worse.

Mudguards and flaps No1.
    Overshoes No2.