Kona Coiler - Suggestions/help - Please delete (duplicate)

leonr
leonr Posts: 83
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok guys, I have a project now and I need some suggestions as I don't really know what components are out there which are value/performance.

For a Kona Coiler 2005 I was wondering about the following components and if any potential upgrades are required.

Brakes
Front shocks

I was wondering what brakes people would recommend and a compatible fork/shock combination? Obviously it has to be affordable so i'm after ebay/2nd hand items really, aslong as they are a good brand and reliable.
Ideally I was after a larger brake setup like the Stinkys use? I am just not aware of the items on the market.

Thanks for any suggestions! :D

Comments

• By 'front shock's do you mean forks?

Forks: i)Rock Shox Reba Dual Air
    ii)Rock Shox Revelation
    iii) Fox Talas, maybe or Vanilla.
    Go for something with a lockout.
    Depends on budget. Anything from Fox or Rock Shox will be ok.

Brakes: Avid Elixir, Avid Juicy, anything by Hope is always good.
    REar Shock: Fox RP23, Fox Triad, again go for something with a lockout. Or pro pedal which is a sort of half way house between lock out and full spongy.

I can't really advise on compatibility: look at some manufacturers specs and copy theirs?

I have Fox Triad/Rock Shox Reba Dual Air and this seems a fairly adequate/widely used combo.

If you are looking second hand why not try on the For Sale forum here: generally good quality kit and competitive with ebay, decent sellers.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Define affordable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sorry please ignore my last post I am talking complete shite. Didn't realise the Kona Coiler was a downhill bike and the bits I've suggested are cross country. Doh.
    A quick check on google image suggests the following sort of specs:
    Forks: Marzocchi 55, Fox 36
    Rear: Fox DHX 5.0 Air.
    Shimano Saints seem to be the brakes of choice for downhill.
  • leonr
    leonr Posts: 83
    Russell160 wrote:
    Sorry please ignore my last post I am talking complete shite. Didn't realise the Kona Coiler was a downhill bike and the bits I've suggested are cross country. Doh.
    A quick check on google image suggests the following sort of specs:
    Forks: Marzocchi 55, Fox 36
    Rear: Fox DHX 5.0 Air.
    Shimano Saints seem to be the brakes of choice for downhill.

Ok thanks, ill check it out!

Cooldad, when I say affordable, I mean common sense pricing that isn't over the average 2nd hand value for a product that serves the requirments.

So in this case, I'm after forks which can cater for me doing some faster bumpy stuff and are generally considered ok by the majority of riders and the same with larger brakes (if thats even needed).