High vis waterproof jacket

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a waterproof but breathable jacket (bet it's the first time you've heard that request) that would be good for this time of year (rain/wind) and it needs to come in a hi-vis colour. I've always stayed away from hi-vis jackets but with the weather like it is and the british weather being what it is, I can see hi-vis wouldn't be a bad idea.

I've been looking at the endura gridlock jacket http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=122&prod_id=128 or a night vision evo jacket (I have a £25 voucher from wiggle to use and along with quidco the evo would work out about the same as the gridlock). There's also the possibility of the non-evo night vision jacket.

Another jacket I've been looking at is a ground effect storm trooper jacket http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-STO-RAI.htm

Does anyone have much experience with any of these jackets? Are there any others I should consider. I'm looking at a budget of up to £100 (if worth it, I could go over this budget).

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    I've got an Endura Nightvision - use it mainly for the commute rather than for MTB'ing and when its very cold/wet. It's pretty water and wind proof but a bit 'boil in the bag' unless its cold/wet/both. You won't win any fashion contests but it does the job in the right conditions.

That said, I love my Endura (although different jacket from the one you're looking at) - quality is great and I use it for almost anything.

If you can get to shops and try them, do.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Got the endura. It's well made, durable & great in foul weather BUT it's not very breathable - 'OK' at best. Alright for my 6 mile commute but not all day stuff unless it's really cold - you'll sweat like a pig. It's also weighty. It is obviously aimed at the daily commute & it shows. I'd pay a little more & go with Gore if you want some performance - you might get one in the summer sale?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I've got an Endura laser and it works pretty well. Not the lightest, not the most breathable, but definately not the most expensive. Used it for days out in the hills on the bike.

For commuting I've got a Montane Velocity (half price in a sale) and that works acceptabley well, but still a little sweaty. It's definately bright
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.