Crap Weekend!

charliew87
charliew87 Posts: 371
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Not only was the weather terrible...

Started a topic yesterday asking for tips on changing a rear cassette as my rear wheel had gone out of shape somehow and I needed a new one but didn't know how to switch the cassette over...

So spent £60 on a new wheel, then another £20 on the tools to switch it over. Got the cassette across no trouble, just needed to get the tube & tyre on the new wheel.

Turns out the wheel had been out of shape long enough to wreck the tyre too. Went out to get a new tyre, another £20 gone. Got new tyre on. Inflated the tyre. Got to 80psi and the tube exploded. Bollocks. Put the spare tube in. That exploded as well.

I want to cry! £100 poorer, with a bike which has one nice limited edition Bianchi wheel, with a couple of flashy red spokes and a white tyre which looks epically cool and one shitty Raleigh black wheel with a Halfords black tyre which is currently minus an inner tube.

Couple of things I'd like to know
1) Got the bike 5 months ago from Evans, it's done about 500 miles, is there any of this that could be covered under warranty? Have no idea how or why the wheel got out of shape?!
2) Why are my inner tubes exploding!?
3) My broken tyre had yellow tape running roung the inside covering the holes where the spokes end, the new tyre doesn't have this. Is this normal?

Rant over! Cheers.
Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0

Comments

• fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    3) The "yellow tape" is rim tape, required to protect the inner tube.
    2) See above.
  • jpf51
    jpf51 Posts: 35
    The yellow tape is rim tape. It stops the tube popping on the spoke holes in the rim.

if the wheel isn't badly "out of shape" most bike shops could sort it for 10 - 15 quid.

Most new factory wheels tend to get a little out of shape after a while and just need a true and tension which costs the 10 - 15 quid mentioned above.
    nearly there.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    The 'tape' is called rim tape and is fitted to the wheel, not the tyre. Many new wheels come without rim tape fitted and you need to buy and fit it yourself. It protects the inner tube from the sharp edges of the holes that are there for the spokes - its absance is why you are blowing tubes - you MUST have rim tape.

There is no way this is an Evans issue as with the greatest respect it is a user fault (not having a go at all but could have been prevented). The wheel is almost definately recoverable by a good wheel builder/truer. It more likely that the shop couldnt be bothered or didnt have the skills to do it. It dosnt make much sence to spend £35-40 to rebuild a £50-60 wheel. If it was a £1000 carbon wheel then this may be different ofcourse...

I say that as it is very unlikely that the wheel is 'unrecoverable' as any impact that would cause such damage you would have known about - such as a very large pot-hole or a crash. If you really want it done you can sent it to me and I'll sort if for £20 and nothing if it cant be done.

The best advice I can give you is to either join a club or attend some free bike maintance classes - Evans often run them. 99% of bike issues can be avoided if you know what to look for and know how things should be. If in doubt ask here as we are all happy to help and give advise.

So dont worry too much - you had a wheel issue, then the other issues have been caused by lack of rim tape. You learnt the hard way, but dont be put off - you just learnt how important rim tape is!
  • charliew87
    Thanks for repsonses.

I'll invest in some rim tape. Can't believe the shop I bought the new wheel from decided to not tell me about this despite me saying it was my first ever bike and first time i'd had a broken wheel.

I took the broken one to two different LBS's in the area. Both said the wheel was unrepairable. There was 1cm of vertical difference between the narrowest and widest point of the wheel, and the spokes on the bit that needed loosening were already loose and vice versa. It was buggered.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Get some velox rim tape!
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    100 miles a month for 5 months is nothing. Unless you've been negligent (i.e. cycled off-road) the wheel should not have broken. My guess is the wheel was not properly built in the first place.

My Giant was supplied with poorly built wheels from the factory. Being a newbie I didn't notice/realise this and they soon went out of true and the spokes were falling out. The LBS (from which I bought the bike) trued and retensioned the spokes within warranty. The wheels have remained true ever since, dispute me being quite heavy and hitting some potholes hard.

If you have not abused the bike then failing within 5 months makes the bike not fit for purpose and the seller should put it right under warranty. Have you approached Evans about the problem yet? What did they say?
  • charliew87
    Dont have an Evans that near so havent been in yet but I will when I get the chance. 500 miles is ridiculously low miles for anything to happen. Most frustrating thing is that the suns out now and all the shops are shut so got to go for a run instead. hate running!
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    charliew87 wrote:
    Thanks for repsonses.

I'll invest in some rim tape. Can't believe the shop I bought the new wheel from decided to not tell me about this despite me saying it was my first ever bike and first time i'd had a broken wheel.

I took the broken one to two different LBS's in the area. Both said the wheel was unrepairable. There was 1cm of vertical difference between the narrowest and widest point of the wheel, and the spokes on the bit that needed loosening were already loose and vice versa. It was buggered.

Sounds like the rim was beyond saving from your description. Why not remove the rim tape from the knackered wheel? If you hook something under it, it should stretch enough to allow you to remove it. Just remember to start off by lining up the valve hole when you fit the rim tape onto your new wheel.
  • slowondefy2
    charliew87 wrote:
    Dont have an Evans that near so havent been in yet but I will when I get the chance.

Phone them!
  • charliew87
    Went into a branch in London at lunch. Emphatically told that there is nothing they can do and Bianchi wouldn't dream of replacing it in a million years, apparently.

Somewhat disappointing. Alas, picked up a new inner tube and some rim tape so at least I should have a functioning bicycle by this evening.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • slowondefy2
    Am I alone in thinking that that's not good enough?! A wheel isn't a consumable item and shouldn't fail after just 500 miles in 5 months - the bike as sold wasn't fit for purpose. The only way the wheel would have failed like that is if it wasn't built properly in the first place. That makes it Evans's problem.
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    No you're not alone! I had an almost identical issue with evans and their complete lack of interest in sorting my 500 mile old wheel. I eventually kicked up a fuss and got the customer services involved, they eventually came good and I got an rs10 wheelset as a replacement (and back handed apology). Don't accept it and insist they sort it!
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • charliew87
    OH COCK!
    Ran to train to get early one home.

Get in. Put tape on wheel. Put tyre on wheel. Inflate tyre. Put tyre on bike. Wheel doesn't spin. Fiddle with the locking nuts. No luck. Somethings buggered with the bearings on the new wheel I think.

So bloody angry. GOing to dash home again tomorrow, put bike in car and go and give Evans a piece of my mind for selling me a shit Bianchi bike which broke after no time at all and refusing to do anything about it.

Thank god for beer and football.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0