Pumping up your tyres with air compressor

furiousd
furiousd Posts: 214
edited April 2012 in Workshop
I have just invested in a Ring RAC640 air compressor for the tyres on our cars and specifically looked for one that could do a high PSI, this one is registered at 100psi. I thought it would be good to use for the tyres for my road bike, however it will get to around 50psi and there is so much leaking air from the connector it will not increase the pressure any more.

I have had to use a schrader adaptor. Does anyone else use this type of air compressor and do they have any problems.

Thanks in advance.
D

Comments

• centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    I do use compressed air, but from an industrial line with a blowgun that has a long nozzle, like this...
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/blow-guns ... s/1981146/
    A piece of nylon pneumatic tubing (i think its 6mm ID/8mm OD) fits tightly over that nozzle...and also fits over a presta valve. You can easily hold the tubing on the valve while it inflates, works perfectly, inflates a tyre bloomin hard in seconds.
  • I use garage compressed air that's good for over 120psi but with a moody schrader adaptor can't manage more than about 90psi.
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    to get high pressure I will blow air until the compressor "starts up" again and while the motor is running I then attach it and pump away, this allows me to get to 115psi rather that 80psi
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    FuriousD wrote:
    I have just invested in a Ring RAC640 air compressor for the tyres on our cars and specifically looked for one that could do a high PSI, this one is registered at 100psi. I thought it would be good to use for the tyres for my road bike, however it will get to around 50psi and there is so much leaking air from the connector it will not increase the pressure any more.
    Most of the less expensive 12v compressors are overrated as far as claimed PSI. You may be lucky to get 80PSI with it provided you switch the valve head with something better as well. Not trying to spoil the party but investing more money to make it work may turn out to be fruitless. :|