Problems with Tektro Auriga Hydraulic back brake

leweyc
leweyc Posts: 6
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm brand new at mountain biking and looking to get in to it, so I bought a second hand 'hardly used' Specialized Rockhopper 2010 on eBay.

The problem being the back brakes. They feel a bit loose and 'spongy' and I think there might be a part missing on the front? If you look at the picture on this website it actually circles the part that is missing on my front lever.

http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_produ ... rt=1&fid=1

Does anybody know if this could be diagnosed as the problem and know of anywhere I could buy the part?

ANy help would be really appreciated as I'm quite gutted!

Apologies if this is in the wrong place/not relevant to the forums!

Cheers,

Lewis

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Auriga Comps do not have a the tool free reach adjuster.

The brake might need bleeding - you can get bleed kits, or a shop will charge about 15-20 quid.
  • leweyc
    Sorry - I think I have been really vague as I'm not 100% what bike I have!

I know I have Tektro Auriga Pro Hydraulic brakes and luckily I have managed to find the part here...
    http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... ver-Spares

I'm really hoping this will fix the problem!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lever reach won't cure spongeyness though.
  • leweyc
    Hm :-/I have just ordered the parts that are missing and I'll have to wait til mid-week for them to arrive so I will let you know how I get on! Thanks for you help supersonic.
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    What do "spongey" brakes actually feel like, can anybody give a better description of the feel?
  • leweyc
    Well I use that term cos to me it feels like a build up of air - a bit cushiony?
  • clydefrog
    leweyc wrote:
    Well I use that term cos to me it feels like a build up of air - a bit cushiony?

Everybody uses it, but I'd just like to know how it actually feels so I know if there's anything wrong with mine.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Can you feel the pads biting the rotor when you pull the lever? Does the lever feel soft or hard? And does it have much travel before it bites? Spongyness can also be if once the brakes bite, you can still keep compressing the lever further - just means there is air in the system.

I bled my brakes (exact same as yours) last week without any special tools. Just an allen key, 7mm ring spanner, kitchen roll and mineral oil. If you decide you want some help actually fixing the brakes, ask for a few tips! Installing the part you've ordered will not help your problem!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The brake will start biting, but then the lever carries on moving and feels spongey. No other way to describe it really.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • clydefrog
    By biting do you mean when it makes full contact, like when the wheels are pretty much locked by it? On mine I can pull them a bit where it does nothing (the dead zone) then they start making contact, then if i pull them all the way so the lever stops about an inch from the handlebar that will be full braking. Does that sound right?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Yep thats fine. Spongy brakes aren't much of a problem, unless it annoys you, or there's a leak. Just means they need a bleed but you can carry on without it. Mine failed on me all of a sudden, not sure how, but all pressure was lost in the rear brake, so it needed bled. I'm just lucky it didn't happen on a hill!
  • leweyc
    Right I see. Looks like I'll be bleeding the brakes the same time then!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One persons spongey is anothers progressive......my daughters shimano XT's (Student so she can afford this stuff!) has much longer lever travel than my Juicy5's (which once they bite have little travel at all - just a few mm), I could call it spongey or progressive, either way I'd prefer the XT's.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    Ive got Tektro Dracos, have bled them and changed pads to Superstar and Nukeproof. My conclusion? The brakes are **** and I wish i put the 45 quid that I spent trying to fix them towards a set of SLX's.
    Hopefully my experience will prove valuable to someone that reads this.