Rubbish forks for rubbish bike?

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My friend has a GT Aggressor 3.0 and needs a new fork because the seals have been breached on his oil only Marzocchi Bombers. To replace it, would a XCM work better as a cheap alternative to an XCR?

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just replace the seals on the Bombers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are many variants of XCM, all are coil sprung, some have lockout, on many this is mechanical, on those with hydraulic dampers it will be hydraulic.
    There are also some non-damped XCR's just to confuse it further.
    As a minimum you want a hydraulicly damped fork.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I hope it doesn't breach the terms of this forum to mention it, but I'm flogging a set of XCMs on eBay - just search on someting like "Suntour XCM Suspension Fork" and you may find mine. Or at the very least, you'll find some, which will do just as well
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    The problem's solved - he's just pumped some more air to the shocks and now they are working smoother
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.