Boardman Comp or Vitus Zircon 2

winrow3745
winrow3745 Posts: 8
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I am a longtime lurker, first time poster.

I am looking at retiring my trusty old carrera kraken to replace it with something shiny and new. I have been looking at these two bikes recently but I've been tying myself up in knots comparing forks etc and as I am far from an expert I am just confusing myself even more.

I've been into halfrauds today and the helpful guy in store actually confused me more by pushing me towards the boardman team because of the better forks.

I would just live to get some opinions from you more knowledgeable people and point me in the considered direction for a bike for my trail/forest riding.

Cheers,

Andy.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Very little in it - whatever fits and feels best really! Both good for the cash.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Suntours Epicon isnt too bad a fork. Obviously its not in the class of the Teams Rockshox but for general XC its fine.

The Vitus is an equally good package the Rockshox fork is from lower end of the scale but thats not a problem its probably the equal of the Suntour, the problem is you cant sit on it you are trusting it will fit when it comes in the box.

My opinion go for the Comp and save a few quid over the Team you are getting a very good frame that can be upgraded in the future. I have always gone for the best frame I could afford the bits hanging off it are less important as they will wear out and be replaced.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I've just got the Comp, its a great bike for the money, I picked it up for £584 using the NUSAPR12 online code. I also considered the Team but couldn't really see the benefit I would get for the extra 200 quid!

Don't know anything about the Vitus but it appears to have slightly better shifters and wheels, everything else looks about the same as the comp. I would use the online code to reserve in store and save yourself a 100 quid.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • I have a 2011 Zircon and it's been bob on for me. Only problems I've had with it are my fault (falling off it and being over zealous with the jet wash!) Mostly ridden trail centres (gisburn/lee/whinlatter/llandegla) and it's coped fine so far and I'm sure it's gonna cope with some big natural rides this year.

If you can wait, the Vitus will be massively discounted. Mine started out at 900, I got it for 700 and by the end of the year I think you could pick one up for 500. Proper bargain.
  • Too much of a bargain the Boardman with that voucher, I think I am just going to go for one of those babies. Ive also just seen that I can get cash back with Quidco on it too.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I dont think you will dissapointed and as Stubs said you can upgrade the components over time so it will just get better and better!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2