Pro Tec MTB. Updated Again !!!..now gone..

IT66T
IT66T Posts: 377
edited August 2015 in Your mountain bikes
As i've got an 18 inch HT which i had given to me a couple of years ago and Team Pro Tec on the down tube and Cutting Crew Hard Core on the cross bar and also says Carbo Tec .

I haven't wrote the spec out due to it being buried at the back of the shed but will try and dig it out tomorrow and have a look but i can't seem to find any thing out about this bike on the net so was hoping some one could recollect them being made .

Cheers IT .
You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It will be a rebranded something from the 80ish.

Pics will be needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • IT66T
    Thanks for that nicklouse but i'm not sure if will be a re branded bike from the 80's as it was originally bought new around 2007 so that would be a heck of a long time to be selling a re branded 80's bike lol .
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • nicklouse
    In that case a rebranded 2007 frame. Was not aware that they had dragged out their MTB frames again.

But the reply is the same. Pics are needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • IT66T
    From the way your talking their not renowned for being very good bikes but should get pics up some time tomorrow after i've figured out how to put them up lol :oops: .
  • IT66T
    edited May 2013
    reddevil005.jpg
    reddevil007.jpg
    reddevil010.jpg
    quickdevil014.jpg

This is what i could make out the spec to be ;
    Handle bar grips were ermm ??
    Tyres Mud Trax .
    Wheels Rigida Heat treated Chrome alloy .
    Frame is Carbo Tec 2000 .
    Forks are UBi Technology Corp .
    Hubs are RJ 8D Taiwan Roc .
    Gears are Sram Grip Shift 6 speed and Shimano Index System .
    Pedals are some plastic affairs ..
    Brake levers are Alhonga ? .

Pedals are now replaced with some decent steel caged one's .
    Rear derailler now replaced with Shimano Tourney .
    Clarks bar grips which seem comfy now on bars .
    Gear cables replaced..
    These are a couple of the old parts i've taken off
    protecdevil001.jpg
    protecdevil002.jpg

I'm waiting for these to arrive as they seemed a bit of a bargain and they will do for what i need them for 8) ..
    t2ec16jee9s2ufwgsbrrufn.jpg

So i'll just need to find some cheaply priced forks now and a comfy seat or padded shorts :roll: ..
  • nicklouse
    Yep some rebadged catalogue bike with, if for 2007, very poor parts.

Protec don't make bikes just like land rover don't.
  • IT66T
    edited May 2012
    So what do you make of the frame then nick ? as i'd already cottoned on that the parts were cheap and it's only going to be used occasionally by the other half and i doubt she will ever do any proper off road as shes not confident enough but i am slowly trying to win her over on that score but she's no youngster lol .
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doesn't look like a 2007 bike to me. Problem I see is if you want to introduce her to bikes, that will be a horrible intro.
    Nasty bits mean a nasty ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • IT66T
    Thanks for that cooldad that's really cheered me up :( as i can't afford another bike for a while yet but i will get something sorted which will probably be around July lol .
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    cooldad wrote:
    Doesn't look like a 2007 bike to me. Problem I see is if you want to introduce her to bikes, that will be a horrible intro.
    Nasty bits mean a nasty ride.

This- she'll end up not wanting to ride at all. I'd be on the look out for a second hand Carrera or similar.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • IT66T
    Thanks snotty badger , i didn't think it would be that bad but looking at it again i agree it aint that great so i'll do as you've suggested and see what i can find out there so i'll thrash it and then trash it lol .
  • cooldad
    Plus she's a girl so will want a pink one with flowers and pixie dust and sh1t.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • IT66T
    I don't think so cooldad :lol: .
  • IT66T
    Well after riding the pro tec a few time's i've decided i'm not scrapping it but i am going to scrap most of the nasty parts and replace with better quality parts as the frame feels pretty good while riding off road :shock: and that front fork is better than it looks but i'm still replacing it though .
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    IT66T wrote:
    Well after riding the pro tec a few time's i've decided i'm not scrapping it but i am going to scrap most of the nasty parts and replace with better quality parts as the frame feels pretty good while riding off road :shock: and that front fork is better than it looks but i'm still replacing it though .

With what you spend upgrading a sh1t bike you could buy a good (i.e. much better) second hand bike
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Good bikes to be had for pennies these days. Check the MTB buying advice forum. There are a few experts on entry level bikes who post there.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52-id_8156187.html

For example.

But the 2nd hand route is also a better option than putting money into that ride. But - don't despair, not all is lost. That bike is PERFECT pub bike.
  • IT66T
    edited May 2012
    PIyphon ,

I understand where your coming from but i will be only using second hand parts as i only plan on getting it sorted to
    use as a commuter so i don't expect to shell out much more than £45 and i am going to get a decentish second hand bike for doing off road riding as i have been looking at the Rock Rider as i really like the way it looks but i can't get one for a short while as i'm between jobs at the moment but i'll get there lol .
  • cooldad
    Agreed. I use an old Rockhopper I got for £34 as a hack, plus it gets used for school MTB club rides every Saturday (the kids are a bit rubbish so I can keep up) and odd Retrobike rides, as it's retro.
    Doesn't compare to my 'real' bike, but it works.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    if you're using it as a commuter maybe consider some nice and light rigid forks - will transform the bike on-road!
  • IT66T
    cooldad wrote:
    Agreed. I use an old Rockhopper I got for £34 as a hack, plus it gets used for school MTB club rides every Saturday (the kids are a bit rubbish so I can keep up) and odd Retrobike rides, as it's retro.
    Doesn't compare to my 'real' bike, but it works.

What year is it from cooldad ? , as i take it that it's from the early 90's for that price and remember that the kids may not be very good at the moment but they will get better so you better watch out for the little devils :lol: .
    Plyphon wrote:
    if you're using it as a commuter maybe consider some nice and light rigid forks - will transform the bike on-road!

That's my plans Plyphon and i should be able to get some forks pretty cheap as i've seen them go for as little as a fiver on eBay but i'm going to keep an eye on the for sale section on here too .
  • cooldad
    1988. None of this new fangled 90's stuff. Awesome Girvin Flexstem, Mighty Biopace chainrings, speshul U brake on the chainstay, thumb shifters. Absolute rubbish to be honest.
    But the kids are rubbish - they're high school kids, not tiny tots. Age and experience beats youth and a bad haircut. Everytime.

Just a heads up on forks - bit of a PITA actually - you need to get the right steerer length, plus sufficient thread length.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • IT66T
    Well 1988 is going back a bit which will be the year i bought a Muddy Fox Explorer for £250 which also had a lovely U brake on the chainstay which a lot of MTB riders had begun to get annoyed about at that time due to the dam things becoming useless when they got caked in mud and yes i remember the Girvin flex stem as it was getting mixed reviews so their were those that loved it and lots of others that hated it and people like me who weren't interested at the time but those biopace chainrings were basically on their way out in 88 as a lot of riders were glad to see the back them as you couldn't get a good rythum while pedalling up hill but i didn't have that problem with my Suntour chain set and i had a quad butted head tube with the rest of the frame being triple butted but funnily enough most people wanted the Rockhopper due to it having a better frame geometry and shorter chain stays which made it more agile and a better climber .

I'm surprised it's actually high school kids you were referring as i'd of thought at their ages that they would be better then that but then again i suppose most of them spend way to much time on their PS3's and x boxes so your experience alone would be enough to out smart them through the correct use of the gears at the appropriate times while out riding .

Thanks for the heads up regarding the forks but i hadn't forgotten about steerer length and the thread but thanks any way as it's nice when others look out for you lol 8) .
  • cooldad
    I had a Muddy Fox as well, a Pathfinder, same brake. Nice bike. Much better frame than the Rockhopper.
    Suitably muddy Muddy Fox
    4452273922_933d0cbeb7_z.jpg?zz=1
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Some of the kids are pretty good, most are abysmal. Trying to keep them alive on the roads is scary.
    Not so muddy Rockhopper, original except for stem, bars and saddle.
    4603826327_f0e58d81df_z.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    Some of the kids are pretty good, most are abysmal. Trying to keep them alive on the roads is scary.
    Not so muddy Rockhopper, original except for stem, bars and saddle.
    4603826327_f0e58d81df_z.jpg
    are those the original tyres worn smooth then ? :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • cooldad
    Farking smartarse. OK, and tyres, pedals, chain and cables.
    But the Mint Sauce stickers are authentic and original. As is the Sharkfin chainstay protector.
    The tyres are a bit rubbish in the mud. Have some Onza Porcs for that.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    But the Mint Sauce stickers are authentic and original. As is the Sharkfin chainstay protector.
    :lol::wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • IT66T
    I couldn't do with keeping an eye on a group of kids while cycling on the road as it would just send me insane .

It's been that long since i've seen a Muddy Fox path finder that i'd forgotten what they looked like but the one you've got looks pretty decent considering it's age but the Explorer that i had was a deep pearlescent yellow with black decals and headset which looked pretty smart but i'd forgotten that the path finders were 2 tone and what size chain-stays are they on their as the Explorer had 16 inch lol .

Just looking at the Rock hopper and i'd forgotten about the pink decals and that flex stem still looks strange and tbh i wasn't sure how bad that bio pace crank set would look after all these years but i'm surprised to admit that it doesn't look to bad regarding it's condition :shock: and it don't half look funny seeing that u brake under the chain stays but they are pretty dam effective when their clean and i'm glad to see you've got blue frame and forks as the yellow looks really faded nowadays so what does the u brake look like on the chain stays of the path finder as the ones on the explorer crossed over before you got to the straddle wire at the ends lol .
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    That can't be ridden much, if at all, surely? Those chainrings look ingood nick, and I'm at a loss to guess where you'd get Biopace chainrings from these days.
  • cooldad
    Stuffs all original. I bought it second hand from the original owner - no idea how much he used it, but everything is original, hubs, chainrings, mechs etc. Mountain Exage. Even still has the pie dish on the back wheel - real man's metal ones in those days, none of this plastic nonesense.
    I use it every week for a few hours for the school ride, nothing too dramatic. Has been living in a garage at the school for the last few years, but I used to use it as a shopping bike etc - anyone who steals it must be poorer than me and in dire need.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools