Mudguard recommendations

davegore2005
davegore2005 Posts: 87
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
Been doing the bike commute now for just over 8 weeks, and thanks to a combination of rostered days off and different start and finish times I have almost managed to miss the rain....until this week, been gloriously soaked every day.
I have a Boardman Hybrid Comp and am looking for any suggestions for a good pair of mudguards that will keep my back and more importantly my feet dry from spray.
SKS race get some good reviews, but also some bad one's too but not sure if they will be OK for 28mm tyres.
Any advice or opinions appreciated.
Dave

Comments

• anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    I have the SKS Chromoplastic Road Mudguard Set on my specialized tricross which has 700x32 originally and now 28 schwable marathons and they have been spot on

£30 from wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplastic-road-mudguard-set/
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I second the SKS chromoplastics recommendation. Unfortunately disc brakes make fitting guards a bit of a faff as the caliper (at least on the front) is in the way of the stay.

For fitting tips see here: viewtopic.php?f=40038&t=12842246

and here: viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12839351
  • Crud catcher road racer mk2. I put a set on my road bike about 2 weeks ago to help with the bad weather, they are very quick and easy to install and you shouldn't have any problems with the disk mount. Think they cost me about €35.
    Trek Sl1000........................Ragley Mmmbop
    Voodoo Marasa....................Giant STP
    FCN: 7
    Strava:
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/185475
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,453
    If you're OK with the MTB style guards, then the Cycraguard and Topeak defender both work well - have used both on my Boardman hybrid. Obviously no issue with tyre sizes with these types of guards.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    If you're OK with the MTB style guards, then the Cycraguard and Topeak defender both work well - have used both on my Boardman hybrid. Obviously no issue with tyre sizes with these types of guards.

Nowhere near as good as full length guards though - but as you say, no size issues.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I am kind of drawn to the full size one's actually.....will check out some of your recommendations this weekend

Thanks for the help

Dave
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    anthdci wrote:
    I have the SKS Chromoplastic Road Mudguard Set

These have always been benchmark as far as I know, and I've used them for years.

However, expect to replace all the aluminium rivets that hold the plastic to each of the stainless steel plates (which hold the stainless steel struts with stainless steel nuts). You get the picture - a ridiculous choice of material which gets eaten away by road salt in, for me, one winter.

Now secured with M4 stainless bolts and locknuts, I would expect them to stay rattle free and solid for years, so still highly recommended. Available in various widths too.

Totally agree with the "full guard" comment for a serious winter/wet weather bike and always fit an extra long (home made) flap on the front, going as close as 500mm off the road, makes a huge difference to spray on feet and bike undercarriage.
  • [quote

Totally agree with the "full guard" comment for a serious winter/wet weather bike and always fit an extra long (home made) flap on the front, going as close as 500mm off the road, makes a huge difference to spray on feet and bike undercarriage.[/quote]

This is my biggest concern actually.....need my feet warm and dry all day and as I have nowhere to dry my shoes during the day (I change into work boots when I get to work) having my shoes drier than they are now for the ride home is top of the list for me.

Dave
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    This is my biggest concern actually.....need my feet warm and dry all day and as I have nowhere to dry my shoes during the day (I change into work boots when I get to work) having my shoes drier than they are now for the ride home is top of the list for me.

Stuff them with old newspaper and put them somewhere as dry as possible. Take the inner-soles out if they're really wet... That's the usual method.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    anthdci wrote:
    I have the SKS Chromoplastic Road Mudguard Set

These have always been benchmark as far as I know, and I've used them for years.

However, expect to replace all the aluminium rivets that hold the plastic to each of the stainless steel plates (which hold the stainless steel struts with stainless steel nuts). You get the picture - a ridiculous choice of material which gets eaten away by road salt in, for me, one winter.

Now secured with M4 stainless bolts and locknuts, I would expect them to stay rattle free and solid for years, so still highly recommended. Available in various widths too.

Totally agree with the "full guard" comment for a serious winter/wet weather bike and always fit an extra long (home made) flap on the front, going as close as 500mm off the road, makes a huge difference to spray on feet and bike undercarriage.

I meant 50mm of course. . .
  • zzddrr
    zzddrr Posts: 4
    I kind of like the Curana C-lite series.
    http://www.extrauk.co.uk/product/detail ... uards/212/
  • As the OP I could not for the life of me get the SKS Chromoplastic to fit on the bike because of the placement of the disc caliper....whether the bar from the fork eyelet to the mudguard is shorter or what, and even before contemplating putting some bends or kinks in the arms (as seen in the pictures in the third reply above), there just did not seem enough length there to be able to get them to fit
    Have decided to go for the Crud RoadRacer Mk2, they are a tight fit with the 28mm tyres, but look barely noticeable on the bike...whether they will stand the test of time remains to be seen.
    Dave
  • bromyG
    bromyG Posts: 59
    Just had to comment after following a poor guy with no guards this morning - it wasn't raining to hard at the time, but his back was soaked and I had to keep out of the way of the huge spray that was following him up the road!

The sooner you fit your guards the better, which ever set you choose - the bad weather isn't over yet!

BromyG

Red Brompton S6L
  • Glad to report that riding home this evening after a pretty heavy storm, and no wet feet and no wet backpack either.....the Roadracers don't look the strongest, but they seem to do the trick...even rode through some bigger puddles on purpose with no ill effects.
    Dave
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I would go for overshoes rather than a front mudguard.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    If your bike can take them SKS 'Longboards'.
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton wrote:

Got the Crud RoadRacer Mk2 in the end...seem to work pretty well

Dave
  • Neal84
    Neal84 Posts: 12
    mrushton wrote:

Got the Crud RoadRacer Mk2 in the end...seem to work pretty well

Dave

I have the same bike and went for the SKS option! Took ages to fit as they were a tight fit and didn't consider the caliber being in the way! Very pleased with the result thou!
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    I have the Roadracers and they're pretty good, but my rear one was taken out by some road debris a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what I hit (never saw it), but it caught in my tyre and trashed my rear mudguard leaving only the two supports and a few inches of the mudguard. By the time I stopped whatever it was had been thrown clear.

It also destroyed a brand new Conti 4 Seasons and left a mark in the rim. Expensive.

I'll buy another Roadracer to replace it.