Sky team Giro squad announced

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,892
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Mark Cavendish, Bernhard Eisel, Juan Antonio Flecha, Sergio Henao, Peter Kennaugh, Ian Stannard, Ben Swift, Geraint Thomas, Rigoberto Urán

Looks like a reasonable support for Cavendish and they've also targeted the team time trial.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Thought Nordhaug would have made it, he's been in pretty good form when the road goes up a bit this season. Lofkvist on his way out of Sky soon? There seem to be about 5 or 6 GC riders above him in their pecking order now.
  • phreak
    Does seem to be all about Cav, although thought Appolonio would have been part of his train. Will he even finish the race though? Not much support for Henao and Uran for the final week.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Guess those other guys will be going to California...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    What's going on with EBH this year? I read something about the Romandie squad basically being the TdF squad with Eisel replacing Thomas at the TdF. If EBH isn't doing the Giro either this year, then what are his targets for the year? Seems odd that he wouldn't do the tour given that he won 2 stages last year.
  • phreak
    JonGinge wrote:
    Guess those other guys will be going to California...

They've listed their squads for May

http://www.teamsky.com/races/0,27631,,00.html#month=5
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Graeme_S wrote:
    What's going on with EBH this year? I read something about the Romandie squad basically being the TdF squad with Eisel replacing Thomas at the TdF. If EBH isn't doing the Giro either this year, then what are his targets for the year? Seems odd that he wouldn't do the tour given that he won 2 stages last year.

There'll be one more rider in the Tour team won't there? Only 8 man teams at Romandie.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    On EBH isnt the Romandie squad only 8 man? They could add in EBH and still have room for the Eisel/Thomas swap.

I think its a decent looking squad and nice to see 5 Brits in the same team.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Graeme_S wrote:

There's 8 in the Romandie team and 9 in the Tour team. Thomas out, Eisel & EBH in.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Pross wrote:
    There'll be one more rider in the Tour team won't there? Only 8 man teams at Romandie.
    That explains it then - I just assumed they were the same size. Rookie error!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pross wrote:
    Thought Nordhaug would have made it, he's been in pretty good form when the road goes up a bit this season. Lofkvist on his way out of Sky soon? There seem to be about 5 or 6 GC riders above him in their pecking order now.
    Nordhaug is doing the Tour of Norway in mid May.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Is Chris Froome injured? Otherwise would have thought he was Skys' GC contender for this years Giro.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • phreak
    Maybe he, Uran and Lovkwist are set for the Vuelta, leaving Thomas, Wiggins et al to do the Tour of Britain.
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    Is Chris Froome injured? Otherwise would have thought he was Skys' GC contender for this years Giro.

+1, given his performance at the Vuelta, thought he would be given a crack at the Giro. Unless he is being saved for the Tour and will be Sky's GC rider for the Vuelta?
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Mr Goo wrote:

+1, given his performance at the Vuelta, thought he would be given a crack at the Giro. Unless he is being saved for the Tour and will be Sky's GC rider for the Vuelta?
    Has been ill and crocked:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome- ... -infection
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Mr Goo wrote:

He's been ill..but he is Sky's GC contender for TDF as well I hope
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Graeme_S wrote:

Why wouldn't Thomas ride the TdF? He did really well last year I thought...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Why wouldn't Thomas ride the TdF? He did really well last year I thought...

Wooden circle at Olympics is his main goal.

That's why he didn't ride the northern classics either
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    shame Thomas is skipping so much of the road season for track...every year is Olympic year when you have access to the top level of races as Thomas does so makes not so much sense to sacrifice potential stages wins at grand tours or stage race TT
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Dave_1 wrote:
    shame Thomas is skipping so much of the road season for track...every year is Olympic year when you have access to the top level of races as Thomas does so makes not so much sense to sacrifice potential stages wins at grand tours or stage race TT

Hopefully he'll get let of the leash for a stage in the Giro when Cav goes home or if it's too hilly for him.

Just reminded myself of the route, it's a bit of a funny one with not many intermediate/medium mountain stages...all stages seem to be either flat or with serious climbs.

With that team Sky should at least come away with a few stage wins, that few days is very Cav friendly and will be good to see if Uran and Henao can do something in the mountains.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Dave_1 wrote:

Hopefully he'll get let of the leash for a stage in the Giro when Cav goes home or if it's too hilly for him.

Just reminded myself of the route, it's a bit of a funny one with not many intermediate/medium mountain stages.
    ..all stages seem to be either flat or with serious climbs.

With that team Sky should at least come away with a few stage wins, that few days is very Cav friendly and will be good to see if Uran and Henao can do something in the mountains.

From what I have read Thomas will be jacking in the track for good after the olympics. I hope its true.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Dave_1 wrote:

Didn't he win a stage race TT earlier this week? :wink:

Riding the Olympics in your home country is a once in a lifetime opportunity, surely no-one (apart from Iain obviously) can begrudge any rider focusing on it?
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Anyone else looking at the provisional Giro start list thinking, 'man, this looks weak'? When Ryder Hesjedal looks nailed on for top 10 it's not great (although that's probably a bit of a harsh way to put it).

Henao, if he can hack the three weeks, will be interesting to watch if he has top form.

Oh yeh, and anyone else surprised Rabobank haven't sent Mollema or Kruijswijk? I guess Slagter could be the next Kruijswijk, who was the next Mollema, who was the next Gesink. :lol:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Anyone else looking at the provisional Giro start list thinking, 'man, this looks weak'? When Ryder Hesjedal looks nailed on for top 10 it's not great (although that's probably a bit of a harsh way to put it).

Henao, if he can hack the three weeks, will be interesting to watch if he has top form.

You'd be surprised if a man who finished 6'th in the Tour de France managed a top 10 in the Giro? Or does coming 6'th in the Tour mean it was a weak line up?

I doubt Henao will do much yet but it's good experience for him and we'll see if he can do 3 weeks.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    No, 6th in the Tour just looks like a bit of an anomaly on his palmares. It just seems he's a far better one day racer than GT rider.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was top 10 in the Giro, i didn't say that I would be. It's just when he seems almost certain to be top 10, you kind of question the calibre of GC contender the other teams are sending. I think Rabo is a good example. I'd rate Kruijswijk or Mollema as equal for a top 10 with Hesjedal. Slagter not so much.

I guess the 'weak line-up' feeling is probably accentuated by the fact that no-one in the line-up has had notable form yet this season. But that's probably a good thing.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Oh i don't know... Flecha and Henao have had a strong classics showing. Surprised to see the 3 track boys in there. Do we think they'll bail at some point? I remember reading Thomas talking about the extra muscle mass the Pursuit puts on. Not gonna help in them there hills... Shame Nordhaug isn't here, he's been riding really well.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Henao seemed to be flagging by the time he go to LBL, which is fair enough for a young rider. Finishing the Giro would be a good achievement for him.

Uran... who knows? Top 10 is a possibility I guess.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    If Uran doesn't get a strong top 10 then it's a major fail from him.

Think the problem with Henao was the extra 50 kilometres at Amstel Gold and Liege. He hasn't done much racing, so she should be fresh. Expecting some great performances from him, and a few poor ones.

Really, really wish Pete Kennaugh was riding this Giro already having a few good long race days in his legs.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Agree that Uran should ride well - I reckon this Giro might be a very good pointer as to how far he can go.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    If you are a half decent grand tour rider and on the list for the Giro I reckon you must be rubbing your hands. The lineup is so weak. Uran should be aiming for a top 5 as far as I'm concerned.

Given the reports that Froome has been suffering again from the parasite issue this season Uran could easily be in the Tour team. A good Giro result will put him in pole position. Of course he could be down for the Vuelta. After doing so well in 2011 I'd be surprised if Sky don't have hopes of at least a podium in 2012.