Fox shock 184 x 84

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have a fox triad shock i2i 184mm stroke length 44mm =120mm of rear travel on my Spesh Stumpjumper fsr.

Would a shock with a 190mm i2i and stroke length of 50mm steepen the headtube angle too much and higher the BB too much, or would it not be noticeable?
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Why do you need a different size shock for it?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It might not even fit and you are most likely to lose quite a lot of travel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    The stumpjumper has a proprietary connector where the eyelet would normally be anyway so unless the shock is identical it will not fit.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    What model year? On an 08/09 it's a good set up. It yields about 134 mm travel, and you can run extra sag to compensate for the head angle change, or leave as is. The change in angle is barely noticeable, and I assume you will/have changed the forks at some point to a longer fork, which resets the head angle anyway.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • widge34
    It's an 09 frame so has a vertical style shock rather than the latest horizontal style shock.
    I have RockShox Revelation forks running travel at 140mm.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • benpinnick
    Then you'll be fine. I have done it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • widge34
    What about mounting the shock? Would I have to purchase new bushes washers etc a new shock wouldn't come with specific Spray mounts.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • benpinnick
    You'll need to get a new DU bush for the top (standard fox) and move the needle roller over for the bottom. You might find it easierto get your LBS to just put 2 new DU bushes in and buy new tophats.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • widge34
    benpinnick wrote:
    You'll need to get a new DU bush for the top (standard fox) and move the needle roller over for the bottom. You might find it easierto get your LBS to just put 2 new DU bushes in and buy new tophats.

Could you point me in the right direction for the bushes i need? Cheers
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Hadge
    Hadge Posts: 44
    Go to the BETD Goldtec site and look on there. Or you could call them and explain what your doing and they will advise you on everything you need.
  • benpinnick
    Easiest to get full mount kits probably so 2x

http://www.tftunedshox.com/miscellaneou ... Kits-127mm

In Heavy-Duty Mount Kit,12.7mm, M8x22 plus the tool would be best (or the Betd equivalent)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • widge34
    Ok. Thanks
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • benpinnick
    If your shock is just top hats and bushes, you could just buy 4 x red coated DU bush in 12.7mm from TF Tuned and press them in yourself.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.