disc brake help.

foy
foy Posts: 296
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My disc brake lever almost touches the handlebar grip before the front brake actually works. The actual brakes are shimano 545 and the bike is new. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or change the pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • foy
    nick louise the pads are brand new and unused.
  • cobba
    Look at the instructions I linked in my previous post and you will see how to adjust your brakes.
  • foy
    cobba those instructions are for mechanical disc brakes and mine are hydraulic brakes.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    foy, can you take the bike back to the shop?

possibly only need setting up, but may need a bleed. either way, the shop shouldn't have given it to you in that state.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • foy
    Yes you are right andrew but the only problem is that i got the bike from ireland by mail order so i am pretty stumped on that one. They never set the bike up proper as the gears are jumping and i had to tighten up the bottle cage bosses and rack mount bosses as well, how the hell it passed a pdi check beggars belief!
  • Fingz999
    Fingz999 Posts: 69
    my friend had this happen to his new carrera the other day on the leaver you should have a allen key adjustment to move the leaver closer or further away from the bars will be a small one and it will be between the lever and where you put the fluid should just be a case of adjusting this out
  • foy
    ok cheers for that.
  • cobba
    foy wrote:
    cobba those instructions are for mechanical disc brakes and mine are hydraulic brakes.

You mustn't have the 545 then.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp?
  • foy
    Fingz 999 you are a star, I tried what you advised me to do and the brake lever is perfect now, thanks a million for that you have saved me a trip to the local bike shop and some dosh as well.
  • foy
    sorry cobba i got it wrong the brakes were 575 not 545 as i said. i have got it sorted now after some great advice from fingz 999, i just cannot believe how simple it was in the end.