Big Brand Singlespeeds Dead?

Surfr
Surfr Posts: 243
edited September 2012 in Road general
Specialized have made the new Langster brakeless (although the spec mentions tektro brakes, the photos don't show any), and they've also replaced the fized/free hub with a fixed/fixed flipflop hub and returned to a high BB track style setup.

Trek have discontinued the District as far as I can tell.

Giant have stopped doing the Bowery.

What's up with that? I'm after a simple drop barred light weight singlespeed to use on the road and all the big names have nothing to offer.

Comments

• gaspode
    gaspode Posts: 110
    Kona Paddy Wagon?
  • Surfr
    Gaspode wrote:
    Kona Paddy Wagon?

Yeh it's steel and heavy though. It does appear to be the only obvious choice out there now though.
  • Surfr
    Felt DIspatch seems to have disappeared from their lineup for 2012 too :( This is obviously an industry-wide trend.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    I have just bought a Wilier Toni Bevilaqua. After the initial ride it seems great. A little heavier than my Landster but more comfortable and the looks are stunning.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    I have just bought a Wilier Toni Bevilaqua. After the initial ride it seems great. A little heavier than my Landster but more comfortable and the looks are stunning.
  • Langster Steel? Not quite lightweight is the problem, but it's still got a fixed/free hub on it.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    Genesis flyer -I had one and loved it. Steel but light.
  • maveco
    maveco Posts: 67
    +1 the Genesis - great fun bikes
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Why worry about big brands anyway? I think you can get both Charge and Fuji single speed bikes in Evans so it's not as though they can't be had on the high street.

As for Specialized - whatever the pictures look like, it will have brakes if they want to sell it in the UK!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    also the Genesis Day-One
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • Surfr
    Rolf F wrote:
    Why worry about big brands anyway? I think you can get both Charge and Fuji single speed bikes in Evans so it's not as though they can't be had on the high street.

As for Specialized - whatever the pictures look like, it will have brakes if they want to sell it in the UK!

I was coming from a cycles to work scheme point of view originally. Our LBS are stockests for Trek, Specialized, Giant and Kona so thats where I was looking.

Yes regarding the langster, I've heard that about the brakes and can easily buy a freewheel to screw onto the hub so will go for the langster after all.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Been having the same thoughts. There is a distinct lack of big brand SS bikes and not much Allu choice. You'd think something close to 7kg would be pretty easy in the £6-700 bracket?
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Pearson Touche and +1 For Genesis Day One

Would love a Touche, but to be honest the Day One is not screwed yet despite my lack of maintenance efforts.

who needs big brands anyway?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • monkeycowboy
    monkeycowboy Posts: 186
    Im looking for something to replace my Felt Despatch as I managed to wear the seat stays out/through with a Chromoplastic mudguard!

Can't seem to find anything suitable, I also have the problem of an Evans c2w voucher, if their 2013 fixed offerings dont suffice, I'll probably have to n+1 :roll: and find a frame to replace the Despatch.

I thought "fixees" were all the rage? Or is it just the retro styled ones that sell volume?
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    I thought "fixees" were all the rage? Or is it just the retro styled ones that sell volume?

I guess the volume manufacturer single/fixed speed was a piggy-backing of the craze, but it served a niche part of it; the people at the center of the trend (real & wannabee couriers, retro enthusiasts, shoreditch kids) wouldn't get involved with off the shelf stuff, it's either a bespoke built up on a classic steel frame or, less commonly, a road-ised track bike. Those one step out who liked the idea but had no bike familiarity (the same as buying an MTB in the early 90s, only to ride on blacktop) went bought v. cheap off the shelf look-alikes (which in my experience are just awful.) Which leaves a market of people who wanted the experience, practicality &/or training benefits of a decent single/fixed speed, had a bit of money & appreciated the benefits of spending a bit more, but didn't want oversized specs or a patchy beard.
  • pompy
    pompy Posts: 127
    On One Pompino is on offer atm at Planet x. I bought the frame a few years ago and built it up. It's a lovely bike, steel but still only 8kg.
  • vally
    vally Posts: 1
    I'd back up the previous posts complimenting Genisis. They do three different models (I think) singlespeed bikes....Flyer, Madison and the Day One which is the bike I use for commuting. http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes
  • hashtag
    hashtag Posts: 6
    edited July 2012
    sweet
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Kenisis decade.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Foffa?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    PlanetX are doing the pompino / macinato for a really good price at the moment (unbuilt for max cheapness but you can add building to the cost)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    I bought a 2012 Langster Steel last year and love it. It does come with both brakes and a flip-flop hub so you can run it fixed or freewheel.

Only issues for me were the handlebars (which I changed for some Charge 'Slice' bullhorns) as they are very uncomfortable for riding on the street; the stock track bars put your wrists at an angle even if you're holding the bars close to the stem. If you're on the drops you can't reach the brake levers as these are BMX style and close to the stem.

Also the stock saddle looks gash - meant to look like a Brooks or something but is just cheap and nasty. Swapped this out for a Charge Spoon which is fantastic.

I think even with the upgrades the Langster's a pretty good bike for the money. Not the lightest but it is a steel frame.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I've a Dolan FXE.

Although I bought the frame cheap from an ebay shop and built the rest of it up myself. My favourite bike.

edit: meant to say you can buy them as a complete bike, I just chose to buy a frame to get some experience of buiding a bike, and thought a single speed was the easiest way to go.
  • McBoom
    McBoom Posts: 78
    Im looking for something to replace my Felt Despatch as I managed to wear the seat stays out/through with a Chromoplastic mudguard!

I did the same thing :?

Didn't wear all the way through but definitely a couple of mm. Decided it was still structurally sound, gaffer-taped it so I could live in denial and carry on. Probably done 1,000 miles on it since but it's always a bit of a worry. It's going increasingly unused for this reason.

You got any pics of the damage?
  • n4th4n007
    n4th4n007 Posts: 364
    I just built this up last month for my daily commuter. i agree, the Langster isn't the same, its lost its roots. Now its basically track geomtery and pretty stiff. I was looking for a 2011 one but couldn't find one new. Then looked at the Trek District, didn't really do it for me. So I built the Pearson frame up from scratch, the entire build was around 600 squid. Has a set of Chromoplastics on now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=141818&thumb=1&d=1338579559
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    this is nice, if you like discs
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Buy whatever bike you wanted, sell the mechs and casette on and throw a singlespeed kit on? Kits only cost about 20, and with selling mechs on, you will save a bit of cash as well.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    I just built one there, from a roadbike frame. So nice and light and just the way I want it. Ok I have the overhead of running a tensioner but no biggie.

Had considered buying a cheapie roadbike from halfords on the C2W (ie carrera virtuoso) and converting but found a cheap frame and forks so just done a build. Lighter than my Giant Carbon with SRAM Red/Force groupset.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I don't know if you can still get them but I got a Boardman SC about two years ago. Aluminium frame, Mavic Open sports on Formula hubs, mudguard clearance and carbon forks, 8kg out of the box and only £449(even cheaper if you got one on C2W like me!) Has served very well as my winter hack needing only a change of chain each year.