Quick wheel rule question BC

dru
dru Posts: 1,341
edited May 2012 in Amateur race
Hi people,

A quick rule question regarding wheels used for racing (road and crit) under the umbrella of BC

Do the front and back wheel have to be the same type (I don't mean 700C) but

can one be a tub and the other a clincher?

also is there anything which says they have to have to same rim profile (depth) or that the front can be deeper than the rear or visa versa etc

Reason being I have a rear wheel with a a powertap (32 spoke 27mm rim, clicher) and wondering if that limits what I can run on the front.

Thanks,

Dru

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    There are no rules about the front and back being the same other than the same diameter I think - that is they both have to be 700c (or some other size I suppose) - but you can run one tub and one clincher or one deep one shallow rim - in fact some people do run a deeper rim wheel on the back or you sometimes see pros run an aluminium rim on the front on wet mountain days for the braking benefits but a carbon rim on the back.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I regularly run mismatched wheels , and quite oftern have a tub on the front and a clincher at the back. Never had any issues.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    About all the BC road rules say on wheels is in regulation 1.3.018 which defines a wheel as pretty much anything round with 12 or more spokes.

As I understand it tri-spoke wheels are banned from mass entry racing because of the risk of turning into carbon fibre knives in a crash.

Nothing stopping you from running different front and rear wheels.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yup, as log as they are both the same size and have more than 12 spokes, no problems. 3-4 spokers were banned by the UCI for RRs due to the original Spinergys carving lumps out of people.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..