Cleat position?.

kayo74
kayo74 Posts: 299
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

Going to set up cleats on new road shoes any advice on the easiest way this can be done?. Looked on a few Internet pages and not very clear is the position more under the ball of foot and over to the right of the shoe?. Speedplay cleats I'm fitting.

Many thanks.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Check out Steve Hogg's blog on fitting cleats. In fact his whole bike fit blog makes excellent reading!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Yes, check out Steve Hogg's blog. I position my cleats (shimano SPD SL's) as far back as the shoes (Shimano) will allow. This is just behind the ball of my foot.

Tried some Mavic Zxellium shoes the other week and couldnt get the cleats anywhere near far enough back. After a bit of research, I found Steve lists which shoes provide best cleat position. Apparently Mavic are some of the worst - the best being Specialized and Shimano to name but a few.
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Cheers guys
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I went to a Spesh Concept store yesterday and had a cleat fitting.

For £50 they sorted out my gate, my knees, cleats, i.e. a "bottom-half" bike fit. Well worth it.
  • mattmaximus
    mattmaximus Posts: 132
    +1 for Steve Hogg's website
    +1 for cleats as far back as they can go (spesh shoes / look keo pedals)

I found it fairly obvious where I needed lateral alteration to make my legs / knees happy, but there are various options for professional fitting.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Thread hijack - Usually up to his nuts in 'munter'. :wink::lol: That is all.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Had a retul bike fit last week, first thing he did as set up my cleats as neutral as possible, got to be your start point?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • izza wrote:

For £50 they sorted out my gate...
    For £50 I'd want them to sort out my whole garden.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    izza wrote:

For £50 they sorted out my gate...
    For £50 I'd want them to sort out my whole garden.

No-one sorts that out bar me and sometimes some watering by the wife......(but I digess).