Girlie hair

mossychops
mossychops Posts: 262
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
Erm, a "friend" of mine has fairly long girly hair. This needs to be dried with a hairdryer in the morning otherwise it goes frizzy and sticks out all over the place and takes too long to dry and also walking round the office with wet hair isn't really an option. I am wanting to start cycling to work again (after a few months in a new job) but there is no where to plug in a hairdryer where I work.

It's only 4 miles to work so I am considering some test runs to see if I can get to work without sweating so I don't need a shower (and without messing up my hair). My biggest two issues will be rain and sweat from wearing the bike helmet. Does anyone (maybe some helpful ladies) have any advice on getting to work while keeping my head sweat free in the nice weather and rain free in the bad weather? Any help (other than cut your hair) is much appreciated :D

Thanks

Comments

• anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    care-of-your-trimmer.jpg

MTFU thumbsup.gif
  • snig
    snig Posts: 428
    I can't see you needing to wash your hair after just one bike ride! even in the rain, a towel dry and maybe a bit of a product should do the job, I have longish hair and understand the bouffant problem, I need to wash my hair the night before.
    Think your best bet is if you really feel the need to wash your hair after each bike ride is try a few products out, there are loads to tame wiild hair down, even a different shampoo can work wonders (Charles Worthington shampoo works great for me)
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    mens-hair-styles-243x300.jpg

Maybe consider something less like the right of the picture, and more like the left of the picture?
  • mossychops
    snig wrote:
    I can't see you needing to wash your hair after just one bike ride! even in the rain, a towel dry and maybe a bit of a product should do the job, I have longish hair and understand the bouffant problem, I need to wash my hair the night before.
    Think your best bet is if you really feel the need to wash your hair after each bike ride is try a few products out, there are loads to tame wiild hair down, even a different shampoo can work wonders (Charles Worthington shampoo works great for me)

Thanks for the reply - You're right I don't need to wash it, the probablem is if it gets wet from rain or sweat it goes a bit Ken Dodd. Charles Worthington stuff does help but not enough; maybe one of their serums or something would help, but they are too expensive to try if they don't work.
  • snig
    mossychops wrote:

Thanks for the reply - You're right I don't need to wash it, the probablem is if it gets wet from rain or sweat it goes a bit Ken Dodd. Charles Worthington stuff does help but not enough; maybe one of their serums or something would help, but they are too expensive to try if they don't work.

you don't need to buy the dear stuff, I know I mentioned Charles Worthington shampoo which is expensive but for me it really makes a difference but hair gels and mouse, oils etc can be found in one of those local cheap type shop for a pound or 2, and don't think you have to just look a mens stuff, women get way more choice and in most cases much cheaper too.
  • i think it is v05 that make a hair product called 'mane tamer' i used to use it to stop that dragged through a hedge look when hungover and needing to go to lectures, it was great
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • mossychops
    snig> problem is more finding the right product rather than how much, some are better than others but while trying a new one I might look like a fool :-)

sloppycowpat> I think I have some of this, will try some of that and the worthington stuff and hopfully iI could get out of the shower and make it 4 miles without ending up too much frizzy business.

Cheers
  • snig
    You did say they were expensive to try if they didn't work, thats why I mentioned price, not sure what other options are open to you if a hairdrier is out of the question apart from products.

Give both a try, before your ride, after ride on dry hair and even with a shower, surely one will work, if not I'll come and fit a frigging plug at your work place lol
  • Look in the kids section. Johnsons do a spray-on conditioner that you can on hair when you can't be bothered to wash it. Keeps the frizziness away and doesn't 'wet' the hair too badly.
    Controls the smell too.

Can't remember the name, but it's in a green bottle.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • snig
    Look in the kids section. Johnsons do a spray-on conditioner that you can on hair when you can't be bothered to wash it. Keeps the frizziness away and doesn't 'wet' the hair too badly.
    Controls the smell too.

Can't remember the name, but it's in a green bottle.

Really!Johnsons sell a product that is designed to be used to coverup unwashed hair,and in the kids section too :shock:
  • snig
    anyway mossychops I think we need pictures of ths hair before and after to really get a feel of what the problem is :D
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    mossychops wrote:
    Erm, a "friend" of mine has fairly long girly hair. This needs to be dried with a hairdryer in the morning otherwise it goes frizzy and sticks out all over the place and takes too long to dry and also walking round the office with wet hair isn't really an option. I am wanting to start cycling to work again (after a few months in a new job) but there is no where to plug in a hairdryer where I work.

It's only 4 miles to work so I am considering some test runs to see if I can get to work without sweating so I don't need a shower (and without messing up my hair). My biggest two issues will be rain and sweat from wearing the bike helmet. Does anyone (maybe some helpful ladies) have any advice on getting to work while keeping my head sweat free in the nice weather and rain free in the bad weather? Any help (other than cut your hair) is much appreciated :D

Thanks

Caps/hats can be better, than helmets ie don't pull the hair though the vents! most/all will go under helmets

other options maybe are the sprays they do work quite well.

other possibilities are to put your hair up?
  • mossychops

Caps/hats can be better, than helmets ie don't pull the hair though the vents! most/all will go under helmets

other options maybe are the sprays they do work quite well.

other possibilities are to put your hair up?

Not long enough to put up (yet, still not decided on that part)
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    20355.jpg
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Try using Moroccan Oil. Stops frizzy hair, conditions and helps it dry quicker.
  • mossychops
    Gave it a try on Sunday - 4 miles on the flat without breaking a sweat.

Only issue now is possible rain. Will be trying a few products, tying hair up (it's longer than I thought) and I do have some battery straighteners. Think I'll risk it tomorrow because I'm desperate to get cycling again.
  • mossychops
    Didn't make it this morning - too wet. If it's still raining tonight I might give it a "wet" test for 20 mins.

Might even post those photos lol