Mallory Park cat3/4

warrior4life
warrior4life Posts: 925
edited May 2012 in Amateur race
Does anyone do the 3/4 races there and if so how are they?

Comments

• Never raced there, but looks pretty fast: http://app.strava.com/segments/910257
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Looking to maybe do a couple towards the end of June this year, will be my first venture into racing. Not been to the track so no idea what its like. Hoping not too fast...
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Having raced a car there it's quite flat but with a rise at the hairpin end. There are several potential courses (i.e. chicanes that can be added) and I would imagine it to be fast with very few tight corners and a good smooth surface.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Done a few - normally a big field but fairly safe as far as 3/4 circuit races go - though having said that there was a 12 rider pile up in front of me last time I raced there but don't let that put you off !

It's a nice circuit - a bit of a drag up to the finish if they run it clockwise so not pan flat - not sure where the finish is if they run it the other way. It's quite a fast flowing circuit - nice and wide and smoothly surfaced as you'd expect for a motor racing circuit. As said the hairpin is at the top of the rise anyway so not slowing you that much more than you would be anyway.

edit - just noticed GiantMike said pretty much all that already .

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • JAnglesea
    JAnglesea Posts: 28
    Rode the 3/4 race last night. To give you some idea, here is my Garmin trace (including a bit of a warm-up outside the circuit).
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/171476927

Had a couple of digs near the start then basically sat in til I got bored with 4 to go and attacked.

103 in the bunch (which is the biggest field I think I've seen there, normally 50-70ish depending on weather and time of year). There's usually a headwind on the drag up to the hairpin but the wind was from the E/SE last night which kind of neutralised it a bit. It was probably destined to end in a bunch sprint anyway but I didn't fancy the sprint, hence the attack. Thought I'd make them work for it a bit anyway. ;) I rolled in at the back of the bunch.
  • I was number 103 and there where another 20-ish after me.
    I enjoyed the race, Had a couple of digs myself but with an average of 25.7mph I dont think anything was staying away.
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    Anyone racing tonight?