Road bike v mtb

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Not sure if this should be in commuting, but here goes.

I currently commute around 17 miles of which at least 12 (I think) is on canal paths. Of the 12, about 5 is slightly rough, muddy terrain.

Given that I only have just started doing this route, I am taking about 1.5 hrs to do the route, on a mtb with knobblies.

Realistically, how much difference is a road bike going to make?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    First, I would try going for a semi-slick MTB tyre which as well as being lighter should reduce your rolling resistance a bit. Likewise, pumping up your tyres to somewhere near the maximum pressure on the sidewall will also help.
    Perhaps once you've seen your performance plateau will be the point to consider something else to help you go quicker - the biggest factor is weight, both of you and the bike.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • A cross bike would be best for this type of route, it will be less delicate than a pure roadie but weigh a lot less than an mtb. If you get one with disc brakes you will not have braking problems when the going gets muddy.

If I had your route I would seriously look at a Genesis Croix der Fer I believe it is built for exactly your type of terrain.
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I actually have a genesis equilibrium but am now hesistant to take it on the canal path, if there is no real difference to using the mtb.

Also having had one puncture I may just leave it as a pure road bike
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Genesis Croix der Fer

Definitely doesnt weigh less than an MTB.
  • Good to use roadbike in highway
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Interesting one this for me.

I have a short training route which is just over 15 miles and incorperates 2 short but steep hills that I find quite challenging.

I normally do this route in around 56 to 57 minutes averaging about 16 mph on my Boardman Comp.

Today I decided to try my old Hybrid, a Carrera Subway complete with near mtb tyres, dodgy gear changes and flat pedals just to compare times. Without really pushing myself too much I did the route in just a few seconds over a hour, only 3.5 minutes less than my usual time.

I was quite shocked that there wasn't a massive difference, and apart from nearly not being able to make up the stairs for a shower because my bum muscles were not used to the different saddle, my legs and cardio system felt great.

I was expecting to be a lot slower.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    when I did my 12.5mile commute on my mountain bike it took me about 1hour 15mins, now on my tricross (cyclocross bike) I am nudging under the 60min mark. I am roughly 15-20mins faster on the return journey also, nudging 50mins as it is mostly downhill.

The tyres are 700x32 semi slicks. Putting some 28mm marathon plus on tomorrow.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,066
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    Interesting one this for me.

I have a short training route which is just over 15 miles and incorperates 2 short but steep hills that I find quite challenging.

I normally do this route in around 56 to 57 minutes averaging about 16 mph on my Boardman Comp.

Today I decided to try my old Hybrid, a Carrera Subway complete with near mtb tyres, dodgy gear changes and flat pedals just to compare times. Without really pushing myself too much I did the route in just a few seconds over a hour, only 3.5 minutes less than my usual time.

I was quite shocked that there wasn't a massive difference, and apart from nearly not being able to make up the stairs for a shower because my bum muscles were not used to the different saddle, my legs and cardio system felt great.

I was expecting to be a lot slower.

It doesn't sound much in actual time but it's still around 6% slower.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Yeah, you're right.

I was probably hoping for a bit too much

ie to be miles faster on my road bike.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • by Monty Dog
    First, I would try going for a semi-slick MTB tyre which as well as being lighter should reduce your rolling resistance a bit. Likewise, pumping up your tyres to somewhere near the maximum pressure on the sidewall will also help.

+1

Decent semi slicks to near top PSI makes a huge difference. I'd def try this for a while before spending a load of cash on a new bike.
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    by Monty Dog

+1

The road bike only really comes into it's own vs MTB when you start worrying about how aero you are and you start raising the seat and dropping the handle bars further and further :-)
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    samsbike wrote:
    I currently commute around 17 miles of which at least 12 (I think) is on canal paths. Of the 12, about 5 is slightly rough, muddy terrain.

Given the surface, a road bike would probably be slower than a mtb! They're not designed to tackle that sort of riding at speed, whereas a mtb is.