Lifespan of cycle helmet's ? .

IT66T
IT66T Posts: 377
edited April 2012 in MTB general
I was just wondering how long a bicycle helmet was good for nowadays if any one knows as it use to be 3 years back in the 80's and i've been off the bike scene for some time until now and wondered if this had changed as i know this isn't the most exciting question but it's still an important one none the less .
You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604

Comments

• chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Three's about right, as long as you buy it brand new and can verify the date of manufacture with manufacturers mark/sticker inside.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I normally crash more often than that.
    Bet loads sit on shelves for years sometimes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lakesman
    Lakesman Posts: 46
    it depends what size and direction of impact you intend to use it to protect you from. any research out there showing the same helmet under the same test conditions before and after 3 years ? if not, then the whole thing is totally subjective. mine's 15 years old. it's still rigid, so it will absorb a blow which still may or may not go through to my head and may or may not injure me. easy answer.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    After a year and about 1500k the padding stinks as as thin as paper and it makes my head itch, I got spares so I give it another year maybe.
  • IT66T
    Cheers for the response guys as tbh i thought the life span of a cycle helmet might of improved some what due to developments in the cycling world but according to comments it hasn't and no one seems to bothered just as long as their helmets feel and look ok which is understandable so as long as i buy a decent one then i should be ok until i have a crash out on the trails :lol: .
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • The australian standard simply says:
    ■A helmet has a limited lifespan in use and should be replaced when it shows obvious signs of wear
    This may be a case of taking the manufacturer at their word and replacing the lid as per the company's recommendations.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    The australian standard simply says:
    ■A helmet has a limited lifespan in use and should be replaced when it shows obvious signs of wear
    This may be a case of taking the manufacturer at their word and replacing the lid as per the company's recommendations.

And I'm sure they'd like us to replace our helmets as often as possible...the b@astards :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Heat and UV make a big impact on the strength of polystyrene. So if you lid is left in the back of a baking car on a regular basis its likely to have a much shorter life.
  • IT66T
    The australian standard simply says:

This was basically the information that came with my last helmet but i can't remember what the make was so maybe it was made in Australia and i do remember it having a warning regarding keeping your Helmet away from heat sources and not leaving it in direct sunlight as diy has also stated and it was also mentioned that you shouldn't adhere stickers either as this could have an effect on the shell of the helmet :o so it looks like these companies don't really know what the limit of these helmets are or maybe they actually do which sounds more likley to be the truth and they don't want people to know that a decent helmet that's looked after could be good for up to 10 years or so as it would cause a drop in sales .
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    As a rule I'll replace them every 2 years unless they obviously need replacing sooner. I've smashed a fair few helmets :lol:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    IT66T wrote:

This was basically the information that came with my last helmet but i can't remember what the make was so maybe it was made in Australia and i do remember it having a warning regarding keeping your Helmet away from heat sources and not leaving it in direct sunlight as diy has also stated and it was also mentioned that you shouldn't adhere stickers either as this could have an effect on the shell of the helmet :o so it looks like these companies don't really know what the limit of these helmets are or maybe they actually do which sounds more likley to be the truth and they don't want people to know that a decent helmet that's looked after could be good for up to 10 years or so as it would cause a drop in sales .

Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence..the thing that I wear to potentially save my life will melt if left in the sun for 5mins and disintergrate if you put a sticker on it :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    cooldad wrote:
    Bought a bargain lid from Chain Reaction last year. The sticker on the inside of the helmet said it was made in 2008.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    .blitz wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Bought a bargain lid from Chain Reaction last year. The sticker on the inside of the helmet said it was made in 2008.
    Not much UV on a shelf in a warehouse though.
  • IT66T
    .blitz wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

That means it was already 3 years old when you bought it :shock: so how much did you pay for it ? .
  • cooldad
    I buy cheap Bells off Ebay - no idea how old they are but they do their job.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:
    Bit of a campanologist, are you?
  • What's a helmet? Just man up and take the bashing..

I am joking before anyone has a go at me.

I do actually need to get a new one. Time to find some bargains.
  • .blitz
    IT66T wrote:
    That means it was already 3 years old when you bought it :shock: so how much did you pay for it ? .
    £15 it was a THE F-14

tbh I always look at the date on the sticker 6 months old is almost inevitable and a year is by no means uncommon.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    .blitz wrote:
    IT66T wrote:
    £15 it was a THE F-14

tbh I always look at the date on the sticker 6 months old is almost inevitable and a year is by no means uncommon.
    Same when you buy food, or women.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Bit of a campanologist, are you?
    Should have known you'd be an expert on dongs
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    yeah, well, you're a bellend.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    3 years I think Giro still say.

I suspect they'll last a lot longer without a crash impact but depends how you treat them. Don't know as haven't had one last without a big crash for long enough.

Other question is how long a full face should last. They're a bit more expensive to replace every 3 years. The shell is different but the inside still has poly stuff with in theory degrades.

If you're thinking of replacing though, have a smash first and then you can get a discounted crash replacement ;)

And yeah, avoid last year & older models.
  • .blitz
    deadkenny wrote:
    3 years I think Giro still say.
    MET say their crash helmets are good for at least 8 years if not mistreated or crashed.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    no help whatsoever but

Construction site hard hats should be replaced every 3-5 years with 5 years being the very maximum.

Each hat has a stamp molded into the rim which gives year of manufactuire and 1-4 dots to give you the quarter it was manufactured.

If you work daily on site helmets are replaced every 3 years, if you are a visitor and your hat spends a lot of time on the shelf then its 5 years.

Its to do with the degredation of the plastic, this is effected by sunlight and dust, dirt etc but it only required contact with air for degredation to take place. So if your lid contains plastic I assume the time scales would be similar

obviously any impacts on lid or construction site hard hat would require it to be replaced immediately
  • .blitz
    Do you not think that's more of a H&S at work issue?

Would like to see some non-apocryphal evidence that crash helmet shells and polystyrene liners degrade during normal use.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    .blitz wrote:

Would like to see some non-apocryphal evidence that crash helmet shells and polystyrene liners degrade during normal use.

I did quantify it by saying it was no help whatsoever

just demonstrates though that lids, hard hats etc do only have a limited lifetime
  • YeehaaMcgee
    .blitz wrote:

If I hadn't thrown my old one away I would show a picture to you. The shell was all discoloured, and the outer plastic layer had become brittle, and transparent in some areas. The visor was also very brittle and cracked, and the interior polystyrene felt odd.
    It was about 7 years old, at a guess.
  • IT66T
    I through my last helmet away after having it 5 years and it looked fine other than looking a little dull but i didn't replace it so i still need to get a new one and if the MET ones are suppose to last 8 years then it would be a worth while investment .