What are you calling a 'top end' clincher ?

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
Interested in what others here consider to be the upper end of the clincher market ?

I have run Vittoria tubs for sometime now though my last pair of tubs to be glued on my deep sections are Continental GP4000s which have grown on me and are standing up to the roads locally, which seem to be getting worse year by year. No nicks or dings, they just seem a tad brittle compared to the Vittoria stuff which whilst supple to cut up somewhat which in turn will likely increase puncture chances.

However, in the market for some good clinchers and have as ever looked at Vittoria and Conti. Anyone else got any recommendations in the upper echelon of clinchers ? Had some schwalbe ZX on my 101's and they were dreadful with multiple punctures so avoiding them. Is it all about Vittoria ?

Thanks !

Comments

• I`ve been using Conti attack and force clinchers coupled with Michelin latex tubes.
    Previously I used Vittoria and thought that Conti`s would be a short lived thing for me but I was pleasantly surprised.
    I`m not claiming that these Contis are the best Clinchers out their but they should certainly not be sniffed at. Coupled with Latex tubes they do roll really really well.
    I will buy them again when they wear out.
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    Bondurant wrote:

I'm still trying to find the perfect tyre for me. I love how the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX ride, they feel quick and are super grippy in all conditions. However as commented above they are too soft, and wear out/damage quickly. If I could afford to change my tyres every 500 miles the Schwalbes would be fine. The Veloflex Corsa look interesting but I've heard too many reports of them riding hard and feeling very slow..
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    In a wide test of tyres/tubes, Vittoria open corsa evo CX (320tpi version) with latex tubes gave the lowest CRR of any tyre/tube combo. Specialized Mondo were in second.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Vittoria open corsa evo cx for me, i can't say why but when i swapped from 4000s to these something felt a lot better and i haven't been back since.
    My pocket doesn't agree with my choice though.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    Another vote for the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX (320 tpi) here.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Are Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX (320 tpi) better than PRO-3 or 4? My tubs of the same name punctured too easily. I was thinking of PRO-4 when my threes wear out but should I consider the Corsas? I already use latex tubes.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    The world of tyres is not rocket science.
    If you race, get the lightest you can afford... the Open Corsa are a good candidate. Of course, the lighter the tyre the least material a flint has to go through to get to your tube.
    Continental GP series (4, 4000 force/attack etc... ) are a good compromise for the sportive market... basically those mamils who want to go fast
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bozman wrote:
    My pocket doesn't agree with my choice though.

Is that down to the mileage you get from the Vittoria's then ? As I see to be paying the same for my Evo CX's as I do for GP4000's both around the 30 quid a tyre mark.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Pro 3 work for me. I can train and race on them. They're light and grippy enough for racing, yet robust enough for every day use. They're also pretty cheap at the moment.

Tried Veloflex, but they're too easily punctured for everyday use. I also had one turn brown (replaced free of charge fortunately) and another developed an annoying pimple. Don't think I'd buy them again.
    More problems but still living....
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    +1 for the Pro Race 3s.

I've transferred to tubs for crits, but I use the PR3s on the road. Very good wear rates and grip from my experience.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Michelin Pro Series with latex tubes. Just moved from 2's to 4's on one bike. Roll really well, grip is great in all weathers, and they sound fab with latex tubes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Veloflex or Vittorias with latex tubes if you want to be ride and feel, however the big compromise is in terms of durability and puncture resistance. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for a nice, summer day in the Alps however, riding a roadrace or sportive along the flint-strewn and pot-holed roads of Surrey is an entirely different proposition. My choice would be Ultremo DDs for a fast, durable all-conditions tyre - one puncture in 4 months of riding this winter/spring is pretty good IME.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Veloflex or Vittorias with latex tubes if you want to be ride and feel, however the big compromise is in terms of durability and puncture resistance. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for a nice, summer day in the Alps however, riding a roadrace or sportive along the flint-strewn and pot-holed roads of Surrey is an entirely different proposition. My choice would be Ultremo DDs for a fast, durable all-conditions tyre - one puncture in 4 months of riding this winter/spring is pretty good IME.

Yeah, I did the Mario Cipollini sportive on Sunday and was like a Belgian day. Wind, rain, hailstones and roads in a complete mess. I have no idea what 'Cipo' made of them, but definitely not Italian Tarmac !

My heart says Vitorria, my head says Conti. :?
  • andy_nD
    andy_nD Posts: 40
    I find my open paves every bit as nice to ride as open corsa but that bit more resilient on the roads - only one puncture over about 1500 miles before they wore out and started slashing up like nobody's business.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Love my 4000s and latex tubes.

haven't got the bottle to try anything really light yet, too worried about wasting money if I tear them up.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I am dying to try some of the Corsa CX's as they look the balls, but I'd be pissed off with a flat in a race than I'd driven over an hour to get to. so its fear keeping me using the GP4000s at the minute.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I continue to find conti attack/ force a great set of tyres. Won't hesitate to replace with the same. OK, I'd like to have a bash with the new pro 4 race, were it not for the nightmare I used to have trying to fit pro 3's.

Peter