TT training advice please

BrianTS
BrianTS Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in Amateur race
Hi All, I'm after advice please, this is my second year of regular cycling and I plan on doing my first TT's this year, I've done no specific training up until now, just riding my bike as often as I can and I enjoy putting the effort in. Today I rode a 3 lap course that I had planned to use regularly to track my (hoped for) improvement. It's a cracking bit of road for it, usually quiet for traffic, a few roundabouts in the middle and a roundabout at each end, the thing I didn't know was that it's pretty much 2% downhill all of one way and then turn around and go back up, I thought 3 laps was 10 miles but it's a little under that at 9.6 (all according to my Garmin). Would a downhill/uphill lap like that give an unrealistic fast/slow time? I ended up doing the 3rd lap quickest by taking it a little easy downhill and saving some energy for the uphill. I thought next time I'd take it really easy going down and knock myself out going up and see what happens. Anyone got any tips on how to make the most of this road? It sounds good for some sort of training but I'm new to having an actual plan.

Thanks

BTS

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    hi. it's probably a good idea if you do either a club 10 or an open 10 fairly soon, that way you'll know exactly what it's all about.

when training for an event like a time trial the key is to replicate or even exceed the level of effort so that your body can make the necessary adaptations.

i've written a little bit about training for TTs here:

http://traumradfahren.wordpress.com/category/training/

with bits about winter training, the base/build/race pattern and building things up a bit.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    If it's only your second season then I reckon the best thing is to get yourself off to your local club/open TT as often as possible this season and use the racing as training. learn how to pace yourself during the race and get used to being on the scene. Ask around at the races plenty of people happy to give you tips about courses and riding them to the best.
  • BrianTS
    BrianTS Posts: 3
    Thanks for the two replies, I do realise that just turning up and getting involved is the best thing to do, I’ve limited time to attended races so I’m trying to prepare myself a little beforehand.

Peejay, I’ve been reading your blog, all interesting stuff, sadly a 25 in an hour seems a long way off for me, unless I could find a tractor going my way!
  • Brian - all roads are likely to go up/down to some extent - or to have a head/tail wind split - so I wouldn't worry about training on that route. Having a loop to regularly use to gauge your improvement is a good thing, but there are a lot of variables that you can't control - which will impact on your speed - the temperature, traffic, the wind, etc.

Obviously you are experimenting to find out how you should pace yourself - realistically I'd say this is the best way to work. The only barrier you may find is that you think you can't go any faster - but you actually physically can...

If you are serious about training i'd say that a very useful tool is a turbo trainer. Doesn't have to be mega expensive, I got one for £125 about 7 years ago and am still using it for the hardest sessions I do. This will really allow you to get some efficient training sessions in - and keep riding even when the weather conspires against us... Coupled with a heart rate monitor and something like Joe Friels 'Cyclists Training Bible' you'll get quite a long way.
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Start off with club 10's or any of the shorter club TT's - and for (added) training and familiarity make sure you ride the course atleast once to get a feel for it - for last wednesday's TT I did two early morning runs at near race pace - apart from the training aspect there was a large-enough pothole (that I didn't know about in advance) that I hit on the first run - and riding the course will also give you an idea about pacing the route, which is crucial. Have a look at some of your local club's TT circuits - find one you like, ride it and then go for it on the night.