Snapped Kona Frame

fielonator
fielonator Posts: 100
edited April 2012 in MTB general
My brother snapped his frame this morning, he claims to have been riding normally. Anyone got an idea of Kona's frame warranty? I know that they get a lifetime one from '09 bikes onwards, but his is an '08.

It's a hei hei if that makes any difference. I told him to cut down on the pies.

Cheers.

Comments

• chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Looks a strange placed for a frame to snap through "normal" riding. That part of the frame is under compression, so whi it would snap is strange. Quite a bit of scuffing around the axel......didi it happen after a fall??

Ive just managed to get my bike replaced , it was just inside the warranty (two Years).

Go back to where it was purchased from, see what the warranty is on the frame.
  • fielonator
    No crashes, he reckons it just went bang. Those scuff marks have been there ages. Bro's in the pub now drowning his sorrows, I'm at work searching t'internet for warranty info. I fear he may be out of luck.
  • chazkayak
    Was it new when he bought it?

I think warranties only apply to original purchaser.
  • fielonator
    Yeah he bought it new. Had nothing but trouble with it since though. Still the frame should be the most reliable part. I think he got it from Wiggle.
  • fielonator wrote:
    Yeah he bought it new. Had nothing but trouble with it since though. Still the frame should be the most reliable part. I think he got it from Wiggle.

Should've guessed they'd be to blame.

He can ask, but I'd not be holding my breath. I'd imagine he may well get an offer of money off a replacement out of good will, but that'd be about it. Best of luck.
  • chazkayak
    Back to wiggle then , see what they gotta say. But a 4yr old bike might not be under warranty anymore. Also see what Kona have to say. What other trouble has he had with the bike?
  • yuhang
    yuhang Posts: 6
    That part of the frame is under compression, so whi it would snap is strange.
    g.gif
  • chazkayak
    yuhang wrote:
    That part of the frame is under compression, so whi it would snap is strange.
    g.gif
    Thats what im thinking. Snapping like that is a result of tension. Maybe falling off and the bike cartwheeling forwards. Like when you go over the bars and the bike follows you when your clipped in!!
  • fielonator
    chazkayak wrote:
    What other trouble has he had with the bike?

All kinds of problems. The fork had to go back within a year, chainring rivets broke, faulty brakes, some problem with the shock though I can't remember what it was now.

Most was done under warranty. The guy from Kona said it was probably a friday afternoon bike, and just bad luck. On the flip side I got the '09 version after trying my bro's one and it's been no problem at all, touch wood.

I agree it's an odd place for the frame to break, especially when not jumping or crashing. Maybe a manufacturing fault that was waiting to go, or an old accident that weakened the metal.

Anyone got an alternative xc full sus to try? He might not fancy another kona afer this one.
  • fielonator
    I don't know, it's a good idea. Can normal people buy hose kind of spares or do you need to go through a proper dealer?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Paligap are the Kona importer, they may have spares.

The snap looks like the result of a very tight lower bearing, causing the frame to flex instead of the bearing moving.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    supersonic wrote:

The snap looks like the result of a very tight lower bearing, causing the frame to flex instead of the bearing moving.

I was thinking three same, seized beating?
    When we're they last checked out changed?
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    supersonic wrote:

Sorry Supersonic, Paligap are no longer the importer for Kona. I believe that Kona are handling it themselves
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Still be worth contacting them as they dealt with Kona when the frame was bought - may be old bits knocking about.