London to Amsterdam

Cyrus Grissom
Cyrus Grissom Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in Tour & expedition
First post :P

My mate and I are doing London to Amsterdam in June. We have the route, ferries, trains and hotels sorted and are good to go. Well, just need to train for it is all.

I've searched the internet for info and have found a fair bit but what I'm struggling to find is what kind of gradients we can be expecting.

Anyone got any info on this? If someone has done a similar route and has GPS data that would be pretty swell.

Our route gives us 340 miles over 4 days:

Day 1 - 90 miles - London to Dunkirk

Day 2 - 112 miles - Dunkirk to Antwerp (stopping In Bruges)

Day 3 - 73 miles - Antwerp to Rotterdam

Day 4 - 65 miles - Rotterdam to Amsterdam (via The Hague)

Peace and love,

CG

Comments

• I'll be on part of that route this summer and am not expecting any gradient in Belgium or Holland - in fact I doubt I'll get above 20m in coastal Holland. UK will be the only place you find any hills.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    For a terrain review I like to use Googlearth which allows you to view your image from lots of angles
    jc
  • Boyzer
    Boyzer Posts: 20
    Am doing London to Amsterdam on Thursday thru Sunday.

Will be tracking using my Garmin 800, so will post my route next week.

In Summary...
    London to Dover, staying in Dunkerque 75 mles
    Dunkerque to Brugge 46
    brugge to Rotterdam 90
    Rotterdam to Amsterdam 41

Miles are v approx as we may swing about depending on headwinds and nicer roads.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I'll be on part of that route this summer and am not expecting any gradient in Belgium or Holland - in fact I doubt I'll get above 20m in coastal Holland. UK will be the only place you find any hills.

Agreed. There are no real hills around. However, the wind can be a bit of a problem, obviously depending on it's direction.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs