Training for LEJoG

Chaisky
Chaisky Posts: 4
edited April 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

First off I'd like to apologise for being a complete newbie to cycling in general!
I've been roped into doing Lands End to John O'Groats at the end of May/beginning of June for charity (unsupported, camping), and was wondering if I could get some advice on training, as I haven't really done any cycling before...hoping to get about 80+ miles/day depending on where my preparation leaves me!

I got a new bike yesterday (Gary Fisher Boedga 2011) and took it out for a spin this morning, did around 70 miles in about 5 and a half hours (around Leeds -> York and back), found it really enjoyable, despite the occasional rain storm and my legs being a little stubborn on some of the hills/slopes :D

How many times a week should I go for 'long' rides?
What kind of distances should I be aiming for per ride?
Should I start training with(sadly as of yet unpurchased) packed [read: rocks!] panniers a.s.a.p?
What sort of linear progression in realistic?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• raybo
    raybo Posts: 87
    While it is important to be able to do the distance, you must also be able to carry the weight. It is easier to go farther without weight then to do less with weight, in my view.

You won't notice on the flats, so much, but any climbing will be much harder and sap your strength much more quickly.

My suggestion is to start now adding weight onto the bike and then trying to do the distance you expect to do on your tour. I slowly add weight when I train. I start with maybe 20 pounds and then add about 5-10 a week until I am at my touring weight. I know I am ready when I can do 2 days in a row at my desired distance with my projected weight.

Good luck and have a great time.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    My training has basically just been building up the mileage week on week, doing back to back rides most weekends up until the point where I've done roughly the distance I'll be doing daily on the LEJoG this past weekend. I also did a week where I rode shorter distances every day just to get used to riding over multiple days.

I haven't done any training with weighted panniers (haven't even finalised my luggage arrangements yet but that's another story) but then I'm not camping. As raybo said this, along with getting used to doing big distances back to back, is the main area you need to work on if you're going to be carrying a lot of equipment.
  • I think the OP needs to be congratulated for making his (her?) first ride a 70miler - and enjoying it!
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    You'll be fine. I did very little training and I managed it - full details in my signature.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)