Many new commuters.

daveyroids
daveyroids Posts: 223
edited April 2012 in Commuting general
Been a while since I have been on the forum and I have noticed a few posts which start with things like new commuter.

Recently my club (Sunderland Clarion) had a meeting with Sunderlands cycling development officer who spoke with us about a few good things that are happening in the region as the government are wanting to encourage cycle commuting. His figures suggested that for the last 2 years commuting by bike has increased by 8% percent a year in Sunderland. I think thats great and I have noticed on Sunderlands roads and trails that there are actually more people than ever, even in winter!

Just wanted to comment that its great to see so many people out and about and hope commuting by bike keeps on increasing.

Comments

• corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Yes, anecdotally I've noticed the bike shed at work has a lot more bikes in it year on year over the last two or three years. A big difference this year is that there were still quite a few of us cycling in to work throughout the winter in all weathers. The previous winter if I recall there were only one or two of us.

I think the lack of pay rises generally and the rise in fuel prices are making a lot of people consider the alternatives.

I'm really glad to see a wider choice of bicycles to commute on too. Disk brakes seem to have made their way pretty much in to the mainstream now (not that I've tried them yet myself, but I'm glad to have the choice!), and hub gears are available on almost any type of bicycle with quite a few new types available now (Nuvinci 360, Pinion, Alfine 11, etc,).
  • jae-so
    jae-so Posts: 85
    Thanks mate, hoping to join the troops soon, just ordered my Ribble Winter Trainer and will try my hardest to get into it after not cycling properly for 14 years (since I was 10 lol)
  • daveyroids
    Yes think pay and fuel have had a massive impact and the choice of 'hybrid style' bikes is brilliant now.

The Ribble winter is a good bike. I don't envy you though starting to ride again after that length of time. Until recently I have been injured and out of cycling for about 3 years. Its took ages to get back into it but well worth it. I just feel better for it now but when I first started it honestly felt horrible. Just stick with it and get through it if you feel that way be well worth it in the end.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    daveyroids wrote:
    had a meeting with Sunderlands cycling development officer who spoke with us about a few good things that are happening in the region as the government are wanting to encourage cycle commuting.

Sunderland councils idea of cycling development is absolutely shocking. A prime example is Newcastle Road going past the Greyhound stadium. Half is South Tyneside council, clearly marked for cycles on a wide smooth tarmac path. As soon as you get to the border where it is Sunderland councils responsibility it becomes and rough messy surface with no drops for the tiny junctions! I get loads of speed up coming past the dogs then have to stop to lift the bike up the curb followed be a climb from scratch :evil:

And why there isn't a proper cycle route linking Sunderland and Newcastle is beyond me.
  • daveyroids
    We had similar arguments, not familiar with cycle routes in that part of Sunderland but our argument included the coast road into Seaham and Washington to Gateshead.