Is it worth getting my freehub replaced?

mcnultycop
mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My freehub died today, 300 metres into my ride at Llandegla. The shop there confirmed it was shot, it just turns freely without engaging at all, but unfortunately they didn't have a 9 speed in so I was left having to come home. If they had one iin stock I'd have asked them to do it there and then so I could at least have the planned ride.

I had a situation where I thought it had died in January, but it had just frozen (it was -7 up at Lee Quarry). I went into my LBS and he told me if it happened again to piss on it! He also said that if it was the freehub, based on the cost of replacement of the part and labour (I don't have the tools to do this at the moment, although I'm taking on more and more bike jobs as I expand knowledge and tools) of about £45-50 all in it would be worthwhile just buying a cheap rear wheel. The wheels are only the standard Bontrager Camino ones on a 2009 Trek 4500 with Shimano Disc Hubs.

I've tried seeing if I can get a suitable second hand rim to save money, with no luck as yet. Every penny I spend on this bike is coming out of the new bike fund so I want to spend as little as possible. The wheels have been great for me, always staying true - is it worth just getting the freehub replaced?

Thanks in advance.

Comments