Paying Road Tax?

Hoopdriver
Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
This morning, yet again, I had the classic bit of abuse from a passing motorist about road tax - and wrote a little essay about it fellow cyclists might enjoy. Cheers

http://my-bicycle-and-i.co.uk/2012/paying-road-tax-heres-a-bridge-i-want-to-sell-you/

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    TLDR. Got bored half way through tbh.
  • Hoopdriver
    Not for everybody I guess. But I can live with that.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    As you know, i'm always the first to read your blog - as we both know from writing, we can't please everyone all of the time, sorry CiB!

Good blogpost by the way! - My dad (Old Git cyclist hater) always bangs on about the Road Tax I don't pay, I have to chuckle. :lol:
  • My daughters have both changed their cars and now pay £30 instead of £135 a year. Do they have to reduce their mileage by 75% ?
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Another beautifully written and amusing blog post, thanks for sharing it. I enjoy your blogs, I have lot of catching up to do reading them.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Hoopdriver
    Thanks much. I am glad you are enjoying them
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Good blogpost by the way! - My dad (Old Git cyclist hater) always bangs on about the Road Tax I don't pay, I have to chuckle. :lol:

Tell him to buy a less polluting car that doesn't attract Road Tax. That'll educate him. :wink:
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Interesting extract from Wiki.....

Some people, in particular cyclists, cycling organisations and cycling publications object to use of the term 'road tax' since roads are paid for from general taxation, arguing that there is no such thing as a "road tax". Peter Walker, a journalist at The Guardian explains "I've always felt the road tax argument supports a more general feeling of entitlement among too many drivers. Those who trot it out often seem to genuinely treat cyclists like we're interlopers who should be pushed aside".[22] The Cyclists' Touring Club argue 'most adult cyclists do pay for the roads, even though they impose minimal wear and tear on them'.[23] The Cambridge Cycle Campaign suggested that "Arguing that cyclists therefore have less right to use the roads is like arguing that smokers should take precedence for medical treatment, because non-smokers don't buy cigarettes and therefore 'don't pay hospital tax".[24]

By the way it was cyclist that's originally campaigned to have the roads 'Surfaced' :!:
  • Hoopdriver
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Interesting extract from Wiki.....

Some people, in particular cyclists, cycling organisations and cycling publications object to use of the term 'road tax' since roads are paid for from general taxation, arguing that there is no such thing as a "road tax". Peter Walker, a journalist at The Guardian explains "I've always felt the road tax argument supports a more general feeling of entitlement among too many drivers. Those who trot it out often seem to genuinely treat cyclists like we're interlopers who should be pushed aside".[22] The Cyclists' Touring Club argue 'most adult cyclists do pay for the roads, even though they impose minimal wear and tear on them'.[23] The Cambridge Cycle Campaign suggested that "Arguing that cyclists therefore have less right to use the roads is like arguing that smokers should take precedence for medical treatment, because non-smokers don't buy cigarettes and therefore 'don't pay hospital tax".[24]

By the way it was cyclist that's originally campaigned to have the roads 'Surfaced' :!:

Nice points.

I'd forgotten the fact that it was cyclists who originally campaigned to have the roads surfaced!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Hmm - just noticed this cross posting.

*squints eyes*.

I'll let it slide....
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Hmm - just noticed this cross posting.

*squints eyes*.

I'll let it slide....

Oooh, you must of been listening to the Vengaboys and feeling kind :wink:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Trouble is in the majority of car adverts they always refer to the suprisingly low level of ' Road Tax'. you would think that the companies should know what has to be paid wouldn't you, after all if the car attracts nil or low V E D then it's just as attractive.

E-mail to Citreon got no response.
  • Hoopdriver
    It is really weird the more I think about it. This notion of Road Tax and all the sense of entilement that goes with it is very deep seated and widespread. I read the rant by this guy Griffin, the head of Addison Lee minicabs, about cyclists on London roads and, sure as X, Road Tax popped up. He topped off his rant with a jibe to the effect that if cyclists 'want to join the gang' they should pay up!

Join the gang?
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    AAH so that's who addison lee is.

Us northerners know nought.