Whats giving you the horn?

Col.Decker
Col.Decker Posts: 19
edited April 2012 in The Crudcatcher
So on my new bike there is a little wee bell, which now seems to be the LAW. I don't want this little bell. I want a decent noise maker. So I think I'm going to go back to my youth and get one of the these ...

51KosI6zceL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Admitt it, you had one as a kid and you thought it was cool. Maybe I should put a piece of plastic into the spokes too?

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    All you need is "an audiable warning device".

I suggest a claxon.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    All you need is "an audiable warning device".

I suggest a claxon.

Alternatively a Pro 2 at the back works quite well.
  • All you need is "an audiable warning device".

I suggest a claxon.

yeah, but does it make a "Nee Naw Nee Naw" sound like a Police car? Or a "Woooooooo Woo Woo Woo Woo" like a Fire Engine?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    It is only law for a bike to be fitted with one at point of sale. No legal requirement to have one fitted.

Although,this is MTB- WTH are you going to ding in a forest? :lol:
  • It is only law for a bike to be fitted with one at point of sale. No legal requirement to have one fitted.

Ah I did not know that. Away with you bell!!!
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    I had one of those on ma grifter
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Strangely enough when I bought the Canyon all the "safety bits" such as reflectors and bells etc came neatly packed in a plastic bag. Went straight in the bin.
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • mak3m wrote:
    I had one of those on ma grifter

And me. My brother had a bloody radio with a built in horn that fitted on the handlebars.
    should of used giantorangecannon
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    i'd quite like one that says things like "Outta the way a$$hole!".
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I'd quite like an air raid siren on my bike, this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact one of my riding buddies is German...
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Haha, I had one of those too..
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    My pro 2 works wonders, it does not click, it says get the **** out the way
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It is only law for a bike to be fitted with one at point of sale. No legal requirement to have one fitted.
    The law according to ramblers is all bikes should have one and anyone that doesn't have one deserves a good shouting at. Those who do have one however need to be treated like they are scum for ringing a bell within 10 miles and have to jump out of their skin and give the rider a dirty look.
    leslie-philips-dingdong.jpg
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    toastedone wrote:

The worst part about owning a Hope hub is deciding how to tell your parents you're gay
  • Col.Decker wrote:
    Admit it, you had one as a kid and you thought it was cool

You bet I did! And I got a second one when the first broke (or I wore it out! :lol: ) Memories! 8) Car drivers actually paid attention when they hear it. in fact, I used to take mine with me in the car when we went anywhere and held it out the window whenever anyone cut my dad up. Worked wonders :twisted:

You've got me wanting another one now. :P

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • Nuts4fsr
    Nuts4fsr Posts: 1,084
    Had one of those, and the radio thing when I was a kid.

I have a thing for the car I found that says 'pick a lane butt-brain' amongst other things..... :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    deadkenny wrote:
    The law according to ramblers is all bikes should have one and anyone that doesn't have one deserves a good shouting at. Those who do have one however need to be treated like they are scum for ringing a bell within 10 miles and have to jump out of their skin and give the rider a dirty look.
    Only a rambler could take offonce at a polite "Excuse me" and moan that you should ring your bell. I guarantee the same person would tut loudly and complain about something else if you were to ring a bell.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Andy wrote:
    toastedone wrote:

The worst part about owning a Hope hub is deciding how to tell your parents you're gay

What was your parents response to you Andy? Did your Dad encourage you to walk with him while discussing the matter?