travelling with bike with weight restriction

oldwelshman
oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
edited April 2012 in Tour & expedition
Guess this is best place to post :D
I have travelled few times abroad with cheapsoft bag and been lucky with no damage. Last trip my mates pinarello frame was damaged and cost £2500 and airlines only covered £900 max, so as I amoff tophilippines training and racing for three weeks and have two flights and restriction of 31kg total I decided to look at possibilites.
Most travel boxes weigh between 12kg and 20kg so decided against this.
So off to WIckes and bought two rolls of gaffer tape and four slabs of jabolite and a knife!!
Taped two slabs together ,twice to make two halves of case, then marked out frame, bars and compartments for pedals, skewers cna chain.
Lots of little white balls flying round in garden so decided to line the polystyrene with gaffer tape.
Stuckit all together with bike, put in soft bag, weight in total 17kg result!! means I can now take some clothes :D
Photos below.
DSCF2988.jpg
DSCF2990.jpg
DSCF2989.jpg
DSCF2991.jpg
DSCF2992.jpg

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    That looks fantastic. Really impressed. I've got a similar Planet X soft bag so could do the same myself.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Brilliant! I'm off to Italy in Summer with the bike and five mins ago was costing up a more robust replacement of my old bike bag. You have jut saved me a fortune :D
  • oldwelshman
    Ha ha, it was nore to do with wirght than cost for me as most of the good boxes I chekced out were heavy. I reckon this will last a while and its very fast to pack the bike, though it took few hoursto make.
  • Where did your wheels go?
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    fairplay that looks good. I hope it protects as well as it looks.
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • oldwelshman
    Where did your wheels go?
    In the side pockets of the bike bag.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    You are to be commended for your efforts. Though, not for your choice of bar tape! What's that just in front of your chainset? Computer mount?
    Pete (another old Welshman!)
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • oldwelshman
    prb007 wrote:
    You are to be commended for your efforts. Though, not for your choice of bar tape! What's that just in front of your chainset? Computer mount?
    Pete (another old Welshman!)
    Yes the thing is a computer moutn, I never use it thats why it was not painted blue like the bike but I am taking it to mount phone on to use sat nav, it fits just under the integrated bars.
    Tape choice? ah you didn't see wheel colour,my deep sction rims are team colour blue and yello, and my kit see below, so tape is beyyer yellow
    worlds2011pursuit6.jpg
    worlds2011greggssprint1.jpg
    worlds2011greggsprizelap2.jpg
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    top effort i must try that
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Fair enuff. Nice pics, still not convinced! Have a good trip...
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...