Real Peloton podcast finger pointing.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
edited May 2012 in Pro race
So Matt Rendell is saying Rujano and Menchov are about to be busted, and the two of them were pointing the finger at Quick-Step after the classics domination.

Has the forum become less cynical, or are they wide of the mark?

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    So Matt Rendell is saying Rujano and Menchov are about to be busted, and the two of them were pointing the finger at
    Quick-Step after the classics domination.

Has the forum become less cynical, or are they wide of the mark?

Quickstep are clean, wouldn't be so quick to say the same about Rujano or Menchov.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    There is a lot of OPQS talk by people, especially with the dodgy doctor. However, with Boonen's season I just don't see what's so surprising. Ok, he had a poor year last year, but he still managed to win the cobbled chipper of G-W, 5'th in Flanders, mechanical in P-R. He had more bad luck in the early part of the season than terrible form. This year he's done a lot of sprints better, and one epic ride against a bunch of 3'rd tier riders in Paris-Roubaix.

Anyone who is surprised by Boonen outriding Hayman or Stannard over the cobbles is a weapons grade moron.

As for Rujano or Menchov. Ride for Savio and like McD's. Would anyone actually be surprised?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    There is a lot of OPQS talk by people, especially with the dodgy doctor. However, with Boonen's season I just don't see what's so surprising. Ok, he had a poor year last year, but he still managed to win the cobbled chipper of G-W, 5'th in Flanders, mechanical in P-R. He had more bad luck in the early part of the season than terrible form. This year he's done a lot of sprints better, and one epic ride against a bunch of 3'rd tier riders in Paris-Roubaix.

They seemed to be more surprised by Terpstra too - and how the rest of the 'midfield' had improved.

*shrugs* I agree with you. Just was a little surprised that I haven't heard more rumblings here.

Most of the QS stuff seems to stem from the Omega-Pharma doctor.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    If the Menchov allegation is true and coupled to Denis Galimzyanov's confession t'other day, it would cast a slightly different light on J-Rod's power-finish yesterday.

Alternatively, it may just be a cunning plot to rid the pro ranks of anyone called Denis.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    Would anyone actually be surprised?

Not remotely, but then you could say the same for most of the peloton.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I really want to like real peloton but they re slightly beginning to lose it now...there are too many better produced alternatives about. It s ok when they have some content they be stolen off of ITV, but otherwise...

I know they have much more to lose than, say, velocast as they work in the industry, but if you have something.to say, just.say it, don't just hint and give it some "nudge nudge wink wink eh guvnor?" It's like listening to a party you're not invited to....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Quick Step haven't done anything that they haven't done before. They're the only team primarily focussed on the cobbles, have dominated it for about a decade now and most of their rivals had injuries, crashed or were absent. Outside their 'home races' and pre season friendlies outside Europe, they've done little of note.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    LangerDan wrote:
    If the Menchov allegation is true and coupled to Denis Galimzyanov's confession t'other day, it would cast a slightly different light on J-Rod's power-finish yesterday.

Alternatively, it may just be a cunning plot to rid the pro ranks of anyone called Denis.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/could-a ... ve-katusha

These people shouldn't cast suspicion unless they can back it with proof. There have to be better ways to try and get an audience.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/could-a ... ve-katusha

These people shouldn't cast suspicion unless they can back it with proof. There have to be better ways to try and get an audience.

To be fair to C-N, they are only raising an issue covered by Inner Ring, among others, last year. Gerolsteiner was a shambles and now Katusha have a confimed positive plus a rumoured one. All of this makes Holczer look either incompetent or complicit. Other DS have lost their jobs for less.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    **I wasnt clear. The link was to accompany your post about two positives.

The next comment was about the podcast ppl.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Neither Rujano nor Menchov would really be a surprise would it, and Holczer is a little short on credibility when it comes to clean cycling after his faith in Gerolsteiner. Either he was complicit or incredibly naive.

Boonen however seems to prefer to inhale his drugs rather than inject them :lol:

Edited to correct my speeling
  • LeicesterLad
    As already stated Boonen's performances havn't really been a surprise, crap year last year, back on form this year without Cancellara getting in his way normal service was resumed. Chavanel been riding well all year, always good value anyway. Don't really know much about Terpstra so can't comment.

Its just the way cycling is - Somebody starts to do well, gets some good results and the whingers and whiners who havn't had a good showing instantly shout 'EPO'.

Bringing my mancrush into this (just to please Frenchie) as soon as Jon Tiernan-Locke started winning this year, riders were EXTREMELY quick to start pointing the finger - I assume the fact that he was willing to have blood tests and the fact that he's been training with SKY proves he's pretty clean i guess and the haters have gone back to there prams.
  • LangerDan

Its just the way cycling is - Somebody starts to do well, gets some good results and the whingers and whiners who havn't had a good showing instantly shout 'EPO'.

Unfortunately "the way cycling is" has consistently, for the past 100 years, shown that when someone starts to do well, its as likely to be the result of taking a train, having your rivals kidnapped, or - more popularly - being completely off your cake on something illegal as being the fruit of years of training and innate talent.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Bringing my mancrush into this (just to please Frenchie) as soon as Jon Tiernan-Locke started winning this year, riders were EXTREMELY quick to start pointing the finger - I assume the fact that he was willing to have blood tests and the fact that he's been training with SKY proves he's pretty clean i guess and the haters have gone back to there prams.

He rides for a team that is not part of the biological passport scheme and has never demonstrated the ability to compete in Europe before this season and won races where there was no anti-doping testing in place. For all his talk, and that's all it was, about being prepared to take blood tests did he actually take any?

Call me cynical but I think if he was Spanish everyone on here would be screaming 'DOPER' at the top of their voices.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    andyp wrote:

He rides for a team that is not part of the biological passport scheme and has never demonstrated the ability to compete in Europe before this season and won races where there was no anti-doping testing in place. For all his talk, and that's all it was, about being prepared to take blood tests did he actually take any?

Call me cynical but I think if he was Spanish everyone on here would be screaming 'DOPER' at the top of their voices.

But if a Spaniard on a continental team had won the Tour Méd and Haut Var, would anyone on here have even noticed?
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:
    andyp wrote:

But if a Spaniard on a continental team had won the Tour Méd and Haut Var, would anyone on here have even noticed?

You'd hope the respective race organisers would have.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:

Anyone who is surprised by Boonen outriding Hayman or Stannard over the cobbles is a weapons grade moron.

As for Rujano or Menchov. Ride for Savio and like McD's. Would anyone actually be surprised?

Doesn't some of the finger pointing at OPQS come from the performances of Gilbert this season too, or rather the lack of performances from Gilbert.

Nevertheless, dodgy doctor or not, are fans really implying that OPQS have some kind of team organised doping? This seems implausible...

a) Why would Gilbert leave this hypothetical program and go to BMC? It obviously works well, and if he was an objector to it, he presumably wouldn't have partaken in the first place. If it's for salary, aren't race wins and endorsements worth more?

b) Why don't OPQS get more bang for their buck season round?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    Jez mon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Doesn't some of the finger pointing at OPQS come from the performances of Gilbert this season too, or rather the lack of performances from Gilbert.

Nevertheless, dodgy doctor or not, are fans really implying that OPQS have some kind of team organised doping? This seems implausible...

a) Why would Gilbert leave this hypothetical program and go to BMC? It obviously works well, and if he was an objector to it, he presumably wouldn't have partaken in the first place. If it's for salary, aren't race wins and endorsements worth more?

b) Why don't OPQS get more bang for their buck season round?

I agree..

It's more a) These guys are pretty knowledgeable and are connected so they have a better inside track, and b) a Rick Chasey theory that if a rider can't go uphill quickly people are less suspicious, regardless of performance elsewhere.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    iainf72 wrote:

EBH is not a 3rd tier rider - he may have had a 3rd tier performance but that is not the same - c'mon 2 non sprint stages in one TdF is not 3rd tier material :roll:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • iainf72
    josame wrote:

EBH is not 3rd tier rider - he may have had a 3rd tier performance but that is not the same - c'mon 2 non sprint stages in one TdF does not a 3rd tier rider make :roll:

He's a 3'rd tier rider on the cobbles.

Top Tier : Boonen and Cancellera
    2nd Tier : Flecha / Ballan / Pozzato
    3'rd Tier : Hushovd / Biggles / Etc
  • josame
    ddraver wrote:
    I really want to like real peloton but they re slightly beginning to lose it now...there are too many better produced alternatives about. It s ok when they have some content they be stolen off of ITV, but otherwise...
    quote]

I only know don logan could you give me a pointer to the others ..ta
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • josame
    iainf72 wrote:
    josame wrote:

EBH is not 3rd tier rider - he may have had a 3rd tier performance but that is not the same - c'mon 2 non sprint stages in one TdF does not a 3rd tier rider make :roll:

He's a 3'rd tier rider on the cobbles.

Top Tier : Boonen and Cancellera
    2nd Tier : Flecha / Ballan / Pozzato
    3'rd Tier : Hushovd / Biggles / Etc

ok, thanks for the qualification (still hold he'll be there one day :wink: )
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Podcasts - The obvious one is The Velocast/Velocast Race Radio which is similar to VDC, but it is actually 2 different Scottish blokes...They actualyl did one together not long ago.

From the US/Mexico, there is the speed metal cycling podcast, which is good, albeit a bit US/South American centric (obviously). I think two of them are Colmbian Wrestlers as well (as in WWE type stuff) so they mention a lot of the Southern Med races

The Spokesmen is good too but tends to discuss wider cycling issues rather than Racing specifically (e.g. UCI, doping etc) and also talk about general cycling issues/trade shows etc.

If you like that there is the FredCast which is one of th spokesmen and is more about cycling issues/trade shows etc

Other than those, I ve not found any particualrly good ones, except during the TdF...

Anyone with any more good suggestions? I'm doing Fluid inclusions at the moment which involves watching a bubble, heating it up/freezing it slowly and noting what temp it changes at - it really is as dull as it sounds so I need a lot of aural entertainment!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    We should make our own podcast.
  • iainf72
    josame wrote:

ok, thanks for the qualification (still hold he'll be there one day :wink: )

He won't. And the sooner everyone accepts it and moves on, the happier they'll be.

:wink:
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    *Puts fingers in ears*

La La La. I'm not listening. Cycling's clean. I don't want to believe my heroes cheat. La La La.

:(
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    *Puts fingers in ears*

La La La. I'm not listening. Cycling's clean. I don't want to believe my heroes cheat. La La La.

:(

Hey Mad Rapper, Frenchy has hacked your account. :lol:
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    andyp wrote:
    You've not heard about Puerto? Or Manolo Saiz, Festina, Liberty-Seguros...

Compare the no. of Spanish dopers caught v no. of British dopers caught (and you might also compare & contrast RFEC's attitude to Contador's case and BOC's attitude to Millar riding in the Olympics).

Riders pointing the finger? They don't mind when it's JTL but it's a different story for their mate Alberto. Double standards, tsk.

Perhaps Matt and Ned don't want to say something that may come back to bite them but want the listener to join the dots. I haven't listened to RP since sometime last year, I thought it was getting a bit self-indulgent. Or perhaps it was always like that.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • LeicesterLad
    andyp wrote:

With regards to the test, then yes, a certain worldtour team let Endura use their blood testing facilities, it was open to the whole team not just JTL. I believe the relevant tests were undertaken.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    We should make our own podcast.

Yeah! Go for it, Rick.
    Could you get a Bikeradar podcast going?