FSA 360 cartridge headset - sealed unit?

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an FSA 360 cartridge headset on my MTB. Got the forks off for service and thought I may as well replace the headset bearings before summer. Anyone know if this headset is a sealed unit? The compression ring lifts out fine, but the bearings seem to be fixed - do these headsets need replacing as a whole unit? I don't want to damage anything by trying to pry them out if they're meant to stay put!

Thanks in advance,

BTM

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what frame? cartrid´ge are normally sealed.

some will come out with your fingers others need a press.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • booktownman
    It's a Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC50.

So if it's sealed, presumably it means replacing the whole headset?

Thx,

BTM
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No the bearings are sealed. They are replaceable. Normally if they are a bit tight you can lever them out with a screwdriver. Just don't be rough.
    But unless they are grindy don't worry about them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • booktownman
    I'm not so sure - the outside edge of the bearing looks to be underneath the top edge of the cup. I've attached a pic - hopefully you can see what I mean.

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I noticed that about whatever headset came as standard on my carrera - even with the cup removed I couldn't remove the bearings from it. I believe the OP is talking about not being able to remove the sealed bearing cartridge from the cup itself - I've no idea how to remove the cartridge myself though, sorry!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Isn't there just a seal that tuck under the lip of the cup - remove that then the bearings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • booktownman
    Cooldad - you lived up to your name. There's a seal, it lifts off. Face-palm.