Rockrider 8.1 (2011) vs Kona Caldera 2009

Gooner4_1998
Gooner4_1998 Posts: 7
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys

Looking to buy my first mountain bike having been rising road bikes for a while. I've got a budget of £500 and have narrowed the choice to the 2011 Rockrider 8.1 or a Kona Caldera 2009 (unless anyone has any other suggestions!).

I can't make head nor tail of which would be the better buy and with only £20 difference in price I really need some guidance as to which has the better components, frame etc etc.

Would appreciate any help you could give!

Thanks

Comments

• type.rst
    type.rst Posts: 50
    I own a kona blast 2011 and i absolutely love it, looks awesome and it is nice and light and has decent components for the price.
  • Thought I best post a link to the specs!

Caldera
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b7s2p1938

Rockrider 8.1
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html

Thanks!
  • Rockrider probably just edges it in spec.
  • Shame the RR is such an ugly bike! Decisions decisions!
  • I have the Kona Caldera 2009 version you are looking at. I currently have a topic Upgrading my Kona Caldera! on the first page of this forum site. I am very please with my Kona which i have upgraded a bit already. Can't comment on the other bike but I would buy anyother Kona any day. The quality of the ride and finish of the bike is very good.

If you have further questions to ask on the Caldera I'm happy to answer them.

I would upgrade the Tora's if you buy the Kona, I have Reba Team's on mine and they are stunning! I have El camino brakes on mine which are a bit naff, the ever reliable shimano's on the standard bike seem ok.
  • I do have one question, what colour is the Kona?! I can't work out if it's green or grey from pictures! Still undecided on which one to get!
  • The bike is dark green, I was a little unsure of it when I first bought it but I have to say I looks quality! The green frame lots great with the black and red of the rockshox IMO.
  • The bike is dark green, I was a little unsure of it when I first bought it but I have to say I looks quality! The green frame lots great with the black and red of the rockshox IMO.

Thanks!
  • Cr3do
    Cr3do Posts: 89
    What bike did you end up going for? Im looking at both bike at the moment...
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • Cr3do wrote:
    What bike did you end up going for? Im looking at both bike at the moment...

Went with the RR and love it. As per the replies in this thread and other posts, the RR can't really be beaten on specs in its price range and I thought it was daft to get a lower spec'd bike for the same money just based on the paint job!!
  • Cr3do
    Cr3do Posts: 89
    Thanks buddy!

I'm going to call into Decathlon in the morning and order mine, cant wait!
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)