Road helmet required but which one?

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
Looking at the giro monza or giro Atmos. any suggestions on these 2 or is there any other good range models to look at. Dont like specialized as are too big/high. thanks in advance of any replies
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Kask k10 from CRC (on offer at the mo). Mine turned up on monday - best helmet i have ever tried, fits better and better made than the Sp Prevail plus you get a bag and head warmer for free.
  • loismustdie
    loismustdie Posts: 127
    Had a Giro Atmos and it was great. For me the Ionos is worth the extra money as I found it a lot more comfortable (surprisingly) , but helmets are a very personal thing.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    lazer genesis, far more comfortable than the giro atmos. even tho a bit heavier.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    I've got a Giro Savant and it fits me very comfortably, much more so than more expensive Specialized helmets I tried on at the time as well. That said it's important to go and try a few on because different people seem to get on with different brands better than others.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Had a Giro Atmos and it was great. For me the Ionos is worth the extra money as I found it a lot more comfortable (surprisingly) , but helmets are a very personal thing.

I found the Ionos very comfy (and like you more so than the Atmos) - but ridiculously heavy for the price. It weighs a fair bit more than my Giro Havoc that was about a third of the price of a Ionos. I recently bought a Kask Mojito which is very light and very comfy and cheap compared to the alternatives. I think the Mojito is clearly the best buy in the Kask range but nobody seems to have a word to say against their Kask whatever model they have.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mosa
    cheers for the replies i went for the atmos, its an upgrade from my specialized align so hopefully better. cheers all
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Rolf F wrote:

I found the Ionos very comfy (and like you more so than the Atmos) - but ridiculously heavy for the price. It weighs a fair bit more than my Giro Havoc that was about a third of the price of a Ionos. I recently bought a Kask Mojito which is very light and very comfy and cheap compared to the alternatives. I think the Mojito is clearly the best buy in the Kask range but nobody seems to have a word to say against their Kask whatever model they have.
    It's a bigger helmet no doubt but I don't think 'ridiculously heavy' is fair, the Ionos is a good helmet imo, and better than the Atmos. I have no experience of the Cask helmets.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Last year I landed on my head/shoulder in a crash at 30mph where i webt over my bars - breaking my back, collar bone and tearing rotator cuff. My specialized prevail had a HUGE crack in it but I had no head injuries. I'm sure that other helmets will have do e well but knowing for a fact first hand has meant that I will always buy a spesh. Even if I don't particularly like the looks...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If you're looking at those Giros - check out some Bells too - I've found they tend to fit similar shaped heads.

The Bell Alchera is decent with lots of vents - and seems discounted everywhere at the mo. If you're feeling more flush, check out the Sweep and Volt.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Ive got a Lazer O2, really like it. Very comfy, dead good adjustment and its a really small profile and doesnt sit high on the head.
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    +1 for Kask, really wanted to try one on before committing. Ended up getting one from Condor K 50.... Really chuffed with it :D
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    +1 for Kask.
    I took the plung and got a K10 from CRC. Double what I've ever paid for a helmet before but won't ever go back now. It's like I haven't got a helmet on :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    giant man wrote:
    It's a bigger helmet no doubt but I don't think 'ridiculously heavy' is fair, the Ionos is a good helmet imo, and better than the Atmos. I have no experience of the Cask helmets.

Rough prices, rough weights- hopefully all close enough though.

Giro Ionos - 310g, £160
    Giro Atmos - 270g, £116
    Giro Havoc - 289g, ~£50 (nla)
    Kask Mojito - 220g, £100
    Giro Aeon - 220g, £180

It's a bit like spending £3k on a bike frame that is no lighter than a £500 Ribble frame. What is it you are actually paying £160 for when you buy an Ionos? I'm not saying it isn't good, and it was very comfy for me, and they look quite nice but for a top end lid it is a heavy old thing. Giro just don't seem to offer anything approaching good value for money unless you can get a hefty discount.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • guado78
    guado78 Posts: 29
    I bought a Giro Savant last week after reading the write up on roadcc. Most comfortable helmet i have owned (last helmet was a Specialized Propero) complete with the latest Rocloc 5 retention system. Weigh 238g for a medium and is currently available online for £37.47 including delivery (£59.99 retail) from Myspokes.co.uk . Bargain!
  • mosa
    Paid £87.87 from my spokes.. no one near that price..well chuffed at that price
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Rolf F wrote:
    giant man wrote:

Rough prices, rough weights- hopefully all close enough though.

Giro Ionos - 310g, £160
    Giro Atmos - 270g, £116
    Giro Havoc - 289g, ~£50 (nla)
    Kask Mojito - 220g, £100
    Giro Aeon - 220g, £180

It's a bit like spending £3k on a bike frame that is no lighter than a £500 Ribble frame. What is it you are actually paying £160 for when you buy an Ionos? I'm not saying it isn't good, and it was very comfy for me, and they look quite nice but for a top end lid it is a heavy old thing. Giro just don't seem to offer anything approaching good value for money unless you can get a hefty discount.

Giro Savant - 238g - £53.99 on wiggle (as low as £37 elsewhere)

Seems like good value to me!

Edit: Just seen I'm beaten to the same point!
  • yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    Cratoni Bullet CRC 2011 53-56cm £42 and 180 grams.

I got the 59-63 cm version for £40, weighs 220 grams dead. Fits my round head, if you had a Bell Alchera and it fit, or you have a round head it will fit
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    Just bought a Giro Savant from Myspokes.co.uk. Will let you know next week.
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • Kask K10 for the win - very comfy, doesn't look bulky /mushroom like -best lid ive owned
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack