My 3 year old has cancer, and what I'm going to do about it

Big Jim1
Big Jim1 Posts: 182
edited August 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi,
My 3 year old son William Lyne was first diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia Type M7 in Feb 2011 (aged 2 at that time). He presented with a lot of pain early on and needed a constant morphine background to help through the days. “AML” is the Adult form of the disease (as opposed to the commonest form of “ALL” in children which thanks to research has a significantly better outlook).

He was treated as an inpatient at the Royal Marsden in Sutton, England until July 2011 when we were advised his chance of relapse was only 30%.

We were always advised that a relapse within a year would not be good as it would be hard to get William back into remission again, so were always on edge during this period.

Unfortunately William relapsed over Christmas (Christmas day was the first major and clear sign of a relapse). He has since had 3 courses of strong Chemotherapy again as an inpatient at the Royal Marsden in Sutton and is due a to start a bone marrow transplant (the only known cure following a relapse) today (15/4/12) again as an inpatient at the Marsden. His current chances of survival/ mortality are 50:50. The bone marrow transplant will take an average of 6 weeks as an inpatient, then many months of worry about virus/ infections which can (and have recently been seen to be) be fatal. Though clearly having a transplant in the summer is advantageous with respect to catching a Virus.

Though I wish I could cure this horrible disease, I know this is beyond me, though I can support the people who can make a difference with financial support.

With this my brother David and I + my friend/ colleague Paul Richardson have decided to cycle around the Island of Zealand in Denmark (around 260 miles) in September this year with the hope to raise money for Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research. We plan to do the ride over 5 days.

Our charity link is:

http://www.justgiving.com/williamlyne

Though you can equally donate by mobile phone text (SMS) i.e. Lyne55 £1/ £2/ £5/ £10 TO 70070 to donate. e.g. texting LYNE55 £2 - donates two pounds.

I hope you will support me in my quest to prevent other children getting this horrendous disease.

imaging.ashx?width=400&imageType=frpphoto&img=42012%2fadeff889-91a7-49a8-abfb-82def1e4aec7.jpg

Regards.,

James Lyne

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    That's just awful, I'm so sorry.

I'm 3-and-a-bit years on from a stem cell transplant (for lymphoma) so I can begin to imagine what he, and you, must be going through - although. watching your 3-year old child go through it has got to be a lot worse than going through it yourself.

I hope you have, or find a well-matched donor.

Good luck.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Done

All the very best wishes to William for a successful outcome from the transplant.

BigJim1 - It might be worth double-posting this thread into "Cake Stop" (or having one of the Admins move it for you). Sometimes, "Tour and Expedition" can be a bit quiet.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Big Jim1
    andymiller wrote:
    That's just awful, I'm so sorry.

I'm 3-and-a-bit years on from a stem cell transplant (for lymphoma) so I can begin to imagine what he, and you, must be going through - although. watching your 3-year old child go through it has got to be a lot worse than going through it yourself.

I hope you have, or find a well-matched donor.

Good luck.

Hi Andy.
    3 and a bit years on is great and proves how things have moved on in 20 or so years since they started doing BMT's. We're under one of the first people to do BMT's, who is now at the Marsden in Sutton. i.e. he was on the team during the first ones I think he said in Bristol.

I think with regards to seeing your child go through it being rough, I think it makes you question what everything's about and how cruel it is. Certainly I'd understand if I had it as I'm almost 40. So it's hard to see so many sick children and I think seeing Teenagers with Cancer is the worst, because they should be out doing other things.

We have a 10 out of 10 match. We went in for the transplant on Sunday, but William had a slight "cold", which after an MPA swab turned out to be FLU. So cancelled until early May.

Thanks for passing on your story and the good luck. My Gran had Lymphoma, but was in her 80's.

James
  • Big Jim1
    LangerDan wrote:
    Done

All the very best wishes to William for a successful outcome from the transplant.

BigJim1 - It might be worth double-posting this thread into "Cake Stop" (or having one of the Admins move it for you). Sometimes, "Tour and Expedition" can be a bit quiet.
    THanks Langer Dan :)

I'll do that with regards to the Cake Shop. THanks for the Advice.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Done. Good luck!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Big Jim1
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Done. Good luck!

Thanks Durhamwasp. very much appreciated :)
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    I have a son the same age as William. We both send our love and best wishes. Donation made.
  • Big Jim1
    I have a son the same age as William. We both send our love and best wishes. Donation made.
    Thanks HebdenBike for the donation and best wishes.
    All I think about is how I felt when I was young and what on earth he must be thinking. The only positive, is that hopefully if he gets through it ok, most of this will be a blur to him. The only downside is that he'll most certainly be infertile. Still I'd chose life over this every time.
    thanks again and best wishes also to your family and particularly your son.
  • Fuji-John
    Fuji-John Posts: 98
    Just donated,
    i wish you all the best and hope you have the outcome im sure we are all wishing for.
    best of luck sent your way.
  • Big Jim1
    Fuji-John wrote:
    Just donated,
    i wish you all the best and hope you have the outcome im sure we are all wishing for.
    best of luck sent your way.
    Thanks Fuki-John. We just hope that the BMT will be the cure this time. I just hope that in future years that a less intrusive cure is found for this horrible disease.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I've just donated. You have the full support and best wishes from the Lawson family. Bonne Chance.

Chris
  • Big Jim1
    Beatmaker wrote:
    I've just donated. You have the full support and best wishes from the Lawson family. Bonne Chance.

Chris
    Thanks for your donation and families support Chris. :)
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Donation made. Money's tight here, but you're welcome to what I can give. All the best to you, and let us know how it goes with the tour and, more importantly, your son.

All the best

Phil
  • Wishing your little boy the very best of luck.

Just to remind people... Its really easy to donate to Leukaemia and lymphoma Research by sending text to 70070 and in the message put LYNE55 £2 for example to donate £2
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but how is it going?