This years XC racing steed.....

epo-aholic
epo-aholic Posts: 1,414
edited April 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Not enough funds in the piggy bank for a new MTB this year as i needed a new road frame so had to make do with a few choice upgrades for last years bike.....

Its not bad at 21lbs but i'd need to spend silly money to get it below the 20lbs mark so not going there, it rides fast and Ti is my material of choice, Carbon defo lighter and stiffer but too unforgiving and hard on the body in my experience.

Full spec follows the pictures.....

7018771361_88b825efbe.jpg

6872666538_a3ca1ab13e.jpg
SDC11900 by jcabuckley1974, on Flickr

6872667052_536985c2a1.jpg
SDC11901 by jcabuckley1974, on Flickr

7018774147_250e6f2783.jpg
SDC11902 by jcabuckley1974, on Flickr

Frame: 2009 Commencal Flame XXX Ti limited edition
Fork: 2010 SID XX 100mm
Bars: Ritchey Superlogic XC bend
Stem: Ritchey WCS 100mm
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece Layback
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR XC 175g
Shifters: XTR M970
Brakes: Magura Marta SL Mag
Rotors: XTR Ice-tech centre-loc
Chainset: XTR M970 44/32/24 175mm
Front mech: XTR M971
Rear mech: XTR M971
Wheels: DT Swiss 240s hubs/ Mavic XC717 rims/ DT Supercomp triple butted spokes
Cassette: XT M770 11-32
Tyres: Schwalbe Rocket Ron
Chain: Sram PC-991
Pedals: XTR M970 SPD

Extras....
Hope spacers
Jagwire cables
KCNC lightweight QR's
On-One Bob-on lock-on grips
Specialized Ribcage

Any comments, recommendations gratefully received.

Cheers

Comments

• hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    That's a very sweet bike indeed !

You could shorten the cables, both at the bars and at the seattube / toptube junction.

I think it would look neater and you'd also save a little weight.

What size frame is it and how tall are you please ?
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Lovely looking bike producing full Ti and XTR envy.

The only thing I can comment on and so the only changes I'd make would be to change the tyres. I've swapped my Rons for a set of Race Sport X-kings and it seems like a similar step change going from Nevegals to Rons. Could all be psychological of course!
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Foam grips and KCNC rotors would save weight. Check out Mt Zoom finishing bits to save a bit more - one piece top cap and bolt gets you a few grams for very little, ultralight jockey wheels are good too. Rebuild those wheels onto Alpines when the time comes, X9SL chain, that'll get you well on towards a pound weight saving for not much money (except the rims).
  • epo-aholic
    That's a very sweet bike indeed !

You could shorten the cables, both at the bars and at the seattube / toptube junction.

I think it would look neater and you'd also save a little weight.

What size frame is it and how tall are you please ?

Cheers dude, yes agree with you on the cables, the worst offender is the fork locking on and as it hydraulic rather than cable i just left it. Its considered a medium or 17" if you prefer, i'm 5'9 and need the layback and a 110mm stem for best fit.
    Lovely looking bike producing full Ti and XTR envy.

The only thing I can comment on and so the only changes I'd make would be to change the tyres. I've swapped my Rons for a set of Race Sport X-kings and it seems like a similar step change going from Nevegals to Rons. Could all be psychological of course!

Thaks for the compliment! I've never tried the conti's but really like the Schwalbe offerings, my current set up is a Racing ralph 2.25 up front and a rocket ron 2.1 on the rear.
    Foam grips and KCNC rotors would save weight. Check out Mt Zoom finishing bits to save a bit more - one piece top cap and bolt gets you a few grams for very little, ultralight jockey wheels are good too. Rebuild those wheels onto Alpines when the time comes, X9SL chain, that'll get you well on towards a pound weight saving for not much money (except the rims)

Foam grips!?!?! .....thought they went out with the ark, never liked my Ritchey ones back in the 90's so i'd doubt i'll be revisiting those. :D i'll keep the pennies in my wallet for now for the other finishing bits, i'm not that flash really. You're right about the alpines saving a heck a lot of weight but i'm really hard on wheels and not that light (73-75kg) so they'd last me about 1 ride :lol:

Cheers for all the input guys :wink:
  • qooqiiu
    qooqiiu Posts: 212
    I like that a lot!

Nice colour ways.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Nicest looking bike on here for a long while. 8)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • epo-aholic
    Nicest looking bike on here for a long while. 8)

thanks man......cheques in the post! :wink:
  • that is gorgeous
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • Very nice
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    That's a great looking bike you've got their and i just love the colour 8) .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604