What bike are you riding on the Mega??

2»

Comments

• Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    do you guys think the Mega could be done with 120mm both ends?
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Point one This thread is about what bike you are riding on the Mega, not about being able to spin uphill with a single front ring.

Point two If you aint done the Mega how can you comment on the climbs and fitness levels needed???

Point three You probably could get down on a 120mm F/R. I wouldnt advise thrashing yourself down, unless your a real smooth talented rider you would probably bottom out on most features and maybe trash your bike.

I did the mega last year, im no downhill expert and im certainly no top class x-ctry rider fitness freak. I was an over weight beer swilling squaddie(lost a bit of weight, and dont drink so much beer now!!) who did it cause I like an adrenalin buzz. I made it all the way down the qualifier falling on the wooden ladder ( you know where it is if youve done it!!) as someone decided to push past and take us both out. The ladders was the only section I walked cause there was a bottle neck. I beat all my mates down who had done it before. And missed out on the mass start by one place.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    point one - that is entirely related to what bike you would run on the mega. If I was going, I would ride my RM slayer, as it's the perfect bike for that sort of riding, IMO.

point two - I think it's fairly obvious that you would need to be of a fair level of fitness to ride, or at least do well, given how long it is.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I'm not sure reading this is doing me is any good - I am now convinced that my bike is the wrong set-up, i'm too unfit and i'll be getting in everyones way and walking up / down everything :oops: :?

Ah well, my bike may be heavy and not everyone's cup of tea (no-one has ever heard of it anyway :lol: ) but I am definitely in the "enjoying the week and trying to survive the Mega" camp. If I make it down in one peice, regardless of how long it takes me, then I for one will be celebrating with a well earned beer that night!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • ilovedirt
    I wouldn't imagine you have to be super fit, just as long as you're not part of the "all the gear no idea, pushing my super light XC bike up trail centre climbs" brigade, you'll be fine. From what I can tell, your minxy should do the job pretty well, just make sure the chain is secure at the front and that you have decent wheels and tyres (probably the most important things in any gravity event) and it should be fine.

The last thing I'd want to do is put you off, but it would probably be worth putting some training in beforehand, particularly your arms. Arm pump can be a proper pain on long descents like on the Mega.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • chazkayak
    Miss Notax, Dont worry about it, some people who have not done the Mega pass comment on something which they have never done. There are only one or two climbs which in my opinion require two rings at the front. You wont get in anyones ways because they will pass you if they wish. I pushed up them cause I was fubar from thrashing myself down and trying to overtake anyone in front. Whenyou get there you will see there all shape and size riders riding all manner of bikes, dont be put off go and enjoy!!
  • ilovedirt
    chazkayak wrote:
    some people who have not done the Mega pass comment on something which they have never done.
    And some people took my comments out of context :roll:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • chazkayak
    Maybe, but as I said the question was what bike are you riding.

Why dont you do the mega iLovedirt? (This is not a baiting question just curiosity)
  • ilovedirt
    I'd like to do the Mega, but I don't think I'm ready for it. Going to Morzine this summer for the first time. If all is well, I'm considering entering next year. It's the long, arm-pump-inducing descents and riding sections blind I'm most worried about. I'm only just getting to a level where I'm happy racing UK downhill tracks, I think something like that would be on a totally different level, given that if I did enter, I'd want to take it relatively seriously rather than just pootle down.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • chazkayak
    Trust me I dont pootle down.....but im no Pro either. If you give yourself a week there thats plenty of time to ride most of the route. You cant do the upper glacier section cause they want to look after the snow for the race day.

Theres not much blind riding, the route is very open untill youy get to the trees and then its good flowing routes. You can ride the qualifier and lower section of the race rout as many times as you can fit it in.
  • ilovedirt
    Aye I didn't mean you, but I'd just like to get an experience of alpine riding before I commit to something like that. Besides, it seems like a fitting way to finish my third and final year of university.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Lappierre Spicy. If I was going that is. Instead I am having to be sensible and so I am refurbishing the new house.
    Many happy trails!
  • chazkayak
    How do you rate the spicey? I like the look.
  • panzer8
    panzer8 Posts: 36
    Raleigh Apex equipped with a Girvin flex-stem.
  • Have done it on a hardtail the past three years, this year am taking a bouncy bike...expecting a podium ;)

edit: and I singlespeeded for the last two years 8)
  • chazkayak
    Have done it on a hardtail the past three years, this year am taking a bouncy bike...expecting a podium ;)

edit: and I singlespeeded for the last two years 8)

Do you make your own frames? Met a guy last year on a hardtail, think that was a single speed.
  • Nah, it was my trusty Marin Rocky Ridge (2008)
  • timpop
    chazkayak wrote:
    How do you rate the spicey? I like the look.
    Sorry for delayed response chaz.
    I love my Spicy. For me it's fantastic to ride. It's fast, it rips on the downhill’s excelling on technical terrain and responds to my every subtle movement. It is a smooth ride man. It works really well for me. I rate it highly and would recommend it anytime.
    It's the ride for mega world champion Nicolas Vouilloz. Boom!
    I want to go for a ride just thinking about it.
    Have fun at the Mega people.
    Many happy trails!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    My nearest LBS is a Lapierre dealer, was drooling over the 916 yesterday. Said he'll have a 516 test bike in later in the season so will try and grab it for a few days 8)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • timpop
    My nearest LBS is a Lapierre dealer, was drooling over the 916 yesterday. Said he'll have a 516 test bike in later in the season so will try and grab it for a few days 8)
    Yes, do it! You'll have fun for sure, the 516 is a really good bike. I drooled over the 916 too, tres cher.
    Many happy trails!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Not doing the race, but will be doing the Route in August. I'll be taking the Canyon Torque of my Sig; 170mm F&R, Lyric Airs, Flows on SS Evos, 1x9 SLX - exactly as in the thread. Am so excited I might just fart from glee!