XC717 vs Stan's Crest/Flow

Ghostt
Ghostt Posts: 192
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone know how do these rims compare for strength vs weight? Buying a new wheelset for an All-Mountain build so want something that'll handle a fair bit of abuse, but ideally still lightweight. Thing is, I weigh under 10st with all my riding kit, so I'm thinking the XC717s (although a XC rim) will be plenty strong enough. Any ideas?
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    At that weight, you'll get away fine with an XC rim. I use Olympics and they've been fine even though I weigh over half of you again.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I would go crests personally, although the mavics are fine, the crests are lighter and stronger, and in my experience build into a similarly stiff wheelset. they can also be easily converted to tubeless. stans have the rim market pretty much sown up imo, their entire range is class-leading.
  • guity
    guity Posts: 113
    Stans all the way, Crests should be fine at your weight. I think they (Crests') are lighter than 717s and the option of going tubeless should be enough to persuade you. I assume the 717's would be cheaper because they are about 10 years old but that is the only positive for them imo.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    717 are stiffer though, and IMO tougher. Also eyeletted.

Both would be good choices, but if riding harder I'd pick an Arch EX from Stans.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Ghostt wrote:
    Buying a new wheelset for an All-Mountain build so want something that'll handle a fair bit of abuse
    Tacoed an XM719 the other week when the rear wheel came off the ground and I went sideways. Just for a moment all of my weight was sideways through the forks & front wheel IYKWIM. The rim wasn't just out-of-true it was well on its way to being '8' shaped.
  • Ghostt
    Cheers for the replys. Should have mentioned I'm buying them as a wheelset from Superstar, despite the mixed reviews etc. I'm on a bit of a tight budget. Going to give the crests a go, they're only £20 more than 717s. Will probably experiment with tubeless too so Stan's will be handy. Time to get ordering, good thing it was payday on Monday!
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Another fan of Stan's wheels and of Superstar.

My superstar wheels are coming upto 2 years old and I haven't had to touch them at all. They've stayed straight and the bearings are only now showing signs of wear.

Superstar also have a great after sales service too and have a very competitive crash replacement scheme.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Key thing is what size tyres are you intending to run? If over 2.1's then a 717 or crest ID isn't going to give you an ideal tyre profile. If you want to run say a 2.4 front then I'd def go with a Flow personally
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Another vote for superstar, great wheels at a cheap rice, always had excellent customer service with them too, I'd go with the Crests... i'm a few pounds heavier than you, thats what i'm running.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Ghostt
    jairaj wrote:
    ...and have a very competitive crash replacement scheme.
    That's good to know! Hopefully won't have to use it though.
    nferrar wrote:
    Key thing is what size tyres are you intending to run? If over 2.1's then a 717 or crest ID isn't going to give you an ideal tyre profile. If you want to run say a 2.4 front then I'd def go with a Flow personally

Yeah, I was thinking about this looking at the rim profiles last night (yeah I really had nothing better to do!) I'm not going to run anything bigger than a 2.3", being as light as I am (under 10st with gear!) there's no need. Then again, Flow's will cope with extra gnar...Think I'll go for Crests, if I trash them then at least rims are relatively cheap and it'll give me an excuse to learn to build them!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Everytime people start weighing up Crests and Flows, they don't realise there is the middle ground Arch...
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I have the crests and do some pretty knarly stuff at times, I've had no problems with them, although I haven't had them long.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013