Camping In France

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,207
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
Thinking of having a family holiday next year camping in France on one of the sites with the pre-assembled, furnished tents (we've got our own 6 berth frame tent but it takes up too much space!). My preferred location would be the Ardeche but open to suggestions. Does anyone have any suggestions for areas / sites? I would also consider Italy around the Lakes if anyone has any experience there. Hoping to take a bike wherever we end up going so somewhere with good cycling roads would be best.

If we all enjoy it we might end up getting a more modern family tent and doing it regularly :)

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Camp and France can only mean La Cage aux Folles

p_lacage.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I can thoroughly reccommend it. I went when I had a young family, so that's over 20 years ago!. We stayed in Brittany, near La Baule.
    The tent was well equipped so you didn't need to take tons of stuff.
    Beautiful area, lovely beach and we had a bit of a bike ride round the lanes. I haven't been back since but will one day.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Went down to a place in the Cote d'Azur a few years back was lovely, visits to Cannes and the waterworld theme park etc

Try the Frejus, Saint Raphael area, Seem to think the campsite was in Roquebrune but there were quite afew other dotted around.

happy trails!
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Go West young man-the Atlantic coast partic south of the Gironde,oyster central,cold white wine,hot sun and the surf should keep the kids happy.Look around the Lacanau area for camping heaven.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Pross wrote:
    Thinking of having a family holiday next year camping in France on one of the sites with the pre-assembled, furnished tents (we've got our own 6 berth frame tent but it takes up too much space!). My preferred location would be the Ardeche but open to suggestions. Does anyone have any suggestions for areas / sites? I would also consider Italy around the Lakes if anyone has any experience there. Hoping to take a bike wherever we end up going so somewhere with good cycling roads would be best.

If we all enjoy it we might end up getting a more modern family tent and doing it regularly :)

I'd suggest taking that new board to the Vendee. Not too far from the ferry for you especially with children, great weather and lovely beaches with surf. I take bike and board their every year, although obviously not the best cycling you'll find in France, still lovely countryside.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I've been camping in France (Eurocamp or Canvas) for years and been to loads of lovely spots. (The bike always goes as well). I dont think there is really a bad area, it really depends how far you want to venture. Vendee's great, Ardeche and Auverne are good too, but my personal favourite is down towards Bayonne/Biarritz.

We've stayed at Labenne in the past. Head north for flat smooth rides, head east for lumpy rides and head south to ride the Pyrenean foothills in Pays Basque. The scenery is absolutely fantastic and it is probably my most favourite place in the world. Its just a long drive....
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pross wrote:

When I was younger (schoolboy), we camped all over France (and other bits of Europe, but mostly France) and the Ardeche was my absolute favourite - mainly for the kayaking down the gorge which is excellent.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Been to the Vendee for the past two years and loved it (got to see end of the first stage of La Tour last year :D ), going back to France again this year, but not decided exactly where yet. May be staying with friends in Brittany.

Also been to St Malo which was good, but the weather wasn't too hot.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    nevman wrote:
    Go West young man-the Atlantic coast partic south of the Gironde,oyster central,cold white wine,hot sun and the surf should keep the kids happy.Look around the Lacanau area for camping heaven.
    Second this - spent a few days in Arcachon a few years back, would really recommend it and also not too far to get into Dordogne valley as well which is just unbelievably country. As long as you are happy driving through/past endless vineyards. :)

If you are open to non French suggestions, the Costa Verde and Picos mountains in Spain are great - excellent cidre, seafood and steaks and great scenery to cycle through. Very close to Santander so if you are taking the car easy to get to from a ferry.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    We've been to this one:

http://www.eurocamp.co.uk/sites/france-riviera-provence/hp011-domaine-du-verdon.html

We stayed in one of the three bedroom tents but there are also chalet style things if that takes your fancy.

Its around 20 miles to the Verdon Gorge which is amazing - cycling, kayaking, canyoning etc etc:

http://www.bugbog.com/european_countries/france_travel_guide/france_gorges.html

The only drawback is the very long drive!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Been to St Cast De Guildo 2 years running now, its west of St Malo in N Brittany. Gorgeous beaches, very warm June thru September. Nearest town is Matignon which has a Super U and St Cast itself has loads of restaraunys etc. PS, take your bike the coastal roads are stunning.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Thanks everyone. Plenty to think about and the Vendee was another of the areas I was thinking mainly as a colleague of mine did it regularly when his kids were younger and he always recommended it for much the same reason as some of you have. My only issue with it is I've always loved hillier areas (for scenery as well as for the cycling).
    RichN95 wrote:
    When I was younger (schoolboy), we camped all over France (and other bits of Europe, but mostly France) and the Ardeche was my absolute favourite - mainly for the kayaking down the gorge which is excellent.

I did a PGL holiday when I left school in 89. The first 5 days were spent in 8 man Canadian canoes going down the gorge before going to the Med for a week of watersports. I loved the area which is why it was one of the places I fancy, my eldest is quite sporty and adventurous so would love it not sure about the youngest though.
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    My pick would be Annecy (lovely place), also has some good cycling to the south west of the lake. Or you can TT around it.
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • We've been to the Vendee for the last 2 summer holidays, really great area of France. Took the caravan, was really worthy paying extra for overnight ferry crossings from Portsmouth to St Malo and reverse; saved an overnight stop at a campsite with all the associated hassle on the way down. Really enjoyable cycling as well, managed to ride most of the first Tour De France stage as well; albeit a few weeks after the race itself. Going back to the area again this year, but about an hour further south than before.