really needs help choosing tyres!

The Beard Rustler
The Beard Rustler Posts: 23
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
i recently bought a bike (carrera vulcan from halfords) to improve the old fitness a bit.
im now thinking that i could do with changing the tyres for something a bit more user friendly.
i really havent got a clue where to start tbh, i would say i ride 50% roads, 45% gravel paths and 5% mud (ish) so am thinking that the big 'knobblies' arent really helping me much!
any tips on what i should be loking for?
the tyres fitted are 26" x 2.10".

cheers

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Whats fitted at the moment? Some semi slicks are probably your best bet
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • there are CST MTB TRACTION fitted at the minute as far as i can make out.
  • i guess i just need to make sure the tyres are the same size to fit the hub then? (26x2.10)
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Nope thats for the rim - you can fit any sized 26" tyre (thats 1.4" to 2.5")ish x 26" - but it depends on your clearance whether you can fit a tyre at the upper end - e.g. 26x2.5". For the sort of riding you have planned though, I'd go with a 1.8" or 2.1" x 26"
  • I used to have a carrera vulcan with those CST tyres on, I swapped them straight away as I already had some continental mountain kings. Your in for a shock when you change them, those CST tyres weight a ton! Just 1 tyre seemed to weight more than both Conti's I was fitting.
    Anyway, my all round tyre reccomendation would be panaracer fire xc pro :)
  • hey thanks for the replies.
    i have had a look at the kenda block 8s but from what people are saying they are really just a summer tyre and are pretty useless in the wet, so here in 'sunny manchester' im not sure if they would be the best bet!
    im leaning towards the fire xc's but they seem to get a lot of punctures from the reviews i read, im not exactly as light as i would like (235lbs ish) so will they just keep giving me pinch punctures?
    also am i best off getting same tyres front and back or different?
    cheers
  • bigj205
    bigj205 Posts: 31
    I'm the same weight as you and I run fire xc pros in ust as tubeless.
    They're a great tyre and I have no problem with puncturing.
    Generally I find Panaracer tyres to be really good

HTH
    Cheers

John

Offroad: Turner 5 Spot, The all mountain machine !
    Kona Kula Gold XC race bike.
    On Road: Planet X SL Pro Carbon, SRAM Red
  • ok fire xc pros ordered now. thanks a lot again guys!