Garmin/Strava - links to CAT4 races

damo2576
damo2576 Posts: 236
edited April 2012 in Amateur race
Would be interested in seeing some CAT4 race data on either Garmin or Strava - any links?

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Here's one from last year. Got dropped on the penultimate lap and then had a minor spill on a greasy corner. Not my finest hour. Some of the Garmin data is a little odd but it gives you an idea of what it was like. Note that the power numbers are Strava's estimates - I don't have a power meter:

http://app.strava.com/rides/6340258

Have you tried searching on the names of some local races?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Is the power data from a power meter or Strava guessing?

Just for anyone who hasn't signed up to Strava - you need to be logged in else you don't see much.
    More problems but still living....
  • 2 and a bit laps missing from this one - I forgot to start the Garmin!
    http://app.strava.com/activities/5013202

(and yes, mine is made-up Strava power data)
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • majormantra
    amaferanga wrote:

Strava has an algorithm that estimates power but its accuracy varies wildly since it takes no account of headwinds, drafting etc. I think there's a symbol that shows if someone has an actual power meter.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    amaferanga wrote:

Strava has an algorithm that estimates power but its accuracy varies wildly since it takes no account of headwinds, drafting etc. I think there's a symbol that shows if someone has an actual power meter.

I was wondering given the massive variation in power between laps! I guess the algorithm will be even less reliable for someone riding in a group.
    More problems but still living....
  • damo2576
    damo2576 Posts: 236
    Reasonably fast up at 39kph?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    http://app.strava.com/rides/6719265 - 3/4 race - ignore the last two laps as I was away from the bunch hence higher effort

http://app.strava.com/rides/3328762 - cat 3 but pace no higher than cat 4 really at a circuit - think I finished top 10 in sprint

I've got a few road races but they're 3rds only.

I know that you're going to try and compare the numbers to see if you're up to it, my advice would be, don't, just give it a go. If you look at that first race, it was fairly quick at 26 mph average, but look how little effort was needed to stay in the bunch! Some laps at 25 mph pace below 200 watts, and heart rate low too.

To go those speeds on your own is very difficult, and the effort can be seen in the last two laps, HR was nearly max, and power was double that of the sheltered laps, shows how much easier it is to ride in a bunch.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • majormantra
    okgo wrote:
    I know that you're going to try and compare the numbers to see if you're up to it, my advice would be, don't, just give it a go. If you look at that first race, it was fairly quick at 26 mph average, but look how little effort was needed to stay in the bunch! Some laps at 25 mph pace below 200 watts, and heart rate low too.

To go those speeds on your own is very difficult, and the effort can be seen in the last two laps, HR was nearly max, and power was double that of the sheltered laps, shows how much easier it is to ride in a bunch.

+1. Just try it. If you want a minimum level of commitment, check if there are any Go-Race events in your area - it's the most accessible form of racing. I had a great time doing Go-Race crits last year.
  • okgo wrote:

+2

I honestly can't begin to tell you how much fun it is!
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    And the road races are even more fun!

I have a 3/4 roadrace this weekend, so will show you the file for that if you like, should give you an idea.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Having raced twice now, definitely listen to everything that okgo said. Ride with other people and then give racing a go. You might fail miserably to start with (or you might not!), but it's not as hard as you might think, even though the pace is high.

I've been cycling since the start of last year and tried racing for the first time at Castle Combe over Easter.

http://app.strava.com/rides/6287833

If you ignore the power data, you can see that I averaged about 40km/hr for the first four laps and then got dropped! I suffered on and did 8 more laps by myself (punishment and training, I told myself). Have a look at the heart rate. I was incredibly nervous before the race and I sat off the back or on the side and didn't get the benefit of any drafting. On the third lap I moved up along the side to the front of the bunch but then hesitated, didn't tuck in and get a good spot, and I fell off the back a lap later.

After a couple of weeks of thought, I tried again at Ilton on Sunday.

http://app.strava.com/rides/7168489

In this race I made sure I stayed sheltered from the wind. I did very little work, sat in the middle of the pack, and made only the efforts needed to stay in a reasonable position. I stopped being nervous - it's racing - you go fast and you're close to people, that's how it works. If you compare my heart rate between that and the previous race you can see that I sorted myself out a bit!