Bare minimum fork maintenance

neil_sheehan2000
neil_sheehan2000 Posts: 529
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've had the same set of forks for about 3 years now. I don't have the money to get them properly serviced, and at the minute I don't have the time or inclination to try and do it myself.

They're still running fine anyway, but a recent ride in appalling muddy/snowy conditions got me thinking: what is the bare minimum maintenance I should/could do for my forks? Is it worth, for example, putting some grease around the tops of the seals (not dismantling anything though), or is this liable to do more harm than good?

Cheers.

Comments

• the manufacturers guide is mad its just stupid like 200 miles or so

if they work fine and there are no scratches on the stantions, seals are ok- not weeping and are working fine then they do last well if the seals are good, most forks are simply to service and it is worth doing it would take somewhere from 30 mins to 2 hours depending how technical competent you are and what instructions you need

oil is about 10 quid and seals which you may need can be purchased off tf tuned for not that much

I personally change the oil every 6 months to a year and seals if they need it

although my old toras were fine for 3 years with no service but the oil was manky when i changed it and they felt soooo much better
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    What forks are they?

don't put grease on the seals as this will attract dirt and cause more problems, get some fork juice and spray the stantions after every ride, avoid getting it near the braking surfaces.

Spray, pump the forks, wipe off, respray, pump, wipe, done.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • So the bare minimum maintenance is practically nothing!? Excellent. Thanks for the fork juice tip- I never knew it existed before now.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Well, for 3 years of use, I would be inclined to at least change the oil and grease the bushings...
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    What forks are they?

don't put grease on the seals as this will attract dirt and cause more problems, get some fork juice and spray the stantions after every ride, avoid getting it near the braking surfaces.

Spray, pump the forks, wipe off, respray, pump, wipe, done.
    I've been using silicon spay on prior to going out for a ride, and storing the bike upside down..but then I'm riding with second hand (at least) indestructible coil PIKES...
    09 Genesis Altitude 20 (853)
    07 Ellsworth Moment.. 2016 transmission
    11 Genesis Croix de Fe (725)
    C20 Orrel 26" (531C)
    16 Dooooone (Calibre) Fatty
    07 Orbit 9531DB0
    WINNER 2011 WMB Gear of the Year..yes folks Mr Averages do win :D